opinions on brangus heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

milkmaid56

what does everyone think of this heifer???  do you think she is worth it to maybe send out to the mid west to show?  i dont know, she seems like a nice heifer to me but there isnt too many brangus cattle in california to compare her too.  any feedback would be great!  (sorry the pic is big...)

red

Nice heifer MilkMaid! I fixed it up a little for you.
Not sure where she'd fit in best. I'm no expert on American bred cattle!

Red

milkmaid56

thanks for resizing the pic!!!  brangus are really different than the club calves and thats why im having such a problem figuring out what to do with her!  if you compare her against clubby stuff... she isnt that good, but maybe compared to other brangus she is good!! so anyone who sees alot of brangus, i need your input!

shortyjock89

I don't know what you mean by mid west.  If you mean like Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, and Ohio midwest, she wouldn't really fit in.  She is a super nice looking heifer, but I have never seen a brangus calf shown in this area (Illinois/Indiana).  I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but i think she would fit in nicely in Texas or somewhere in the South.

garybob

I know an Ag teacher and a county agent in south Texas ( dang near Mexico), they would be able to give you an opinion. Also, the association in San Antonio ( sorry, Cleveland!) could give you pointers.

NHR Shorthorns

Hey Milk, If your not a Club Calf type breeder, an its not fair to compare her to clubby heifer. Ive seen it too many times, dont dought your animals because you think she does not look like a steer with teets.
Down here in Texas ive seen some pretty dang good brangus. I belive she would be very competative given the right enviroment. Take her to an open show, a true breeders show, she will knock a clubby heifer right out of the park.  She looks great man keep up the good work!!!

red

This what she needs to hear. I'm ignorant when it comes to Brahma influence cattle. Where is Brahmergirl?

Red

SKF

I live in Florida so we have lots of brangus cattle and she looks real good from the picture. They are hard to compete with against clubby cattle unless you have a Florida judge then they hold their own. We do have a lot of brangus classes and brahma influenced classes around here.

milkmaid56

she doesnt have any known sires or anything, just out of a first calf heifer and a bull that my family bred ourselves... i guess everythings for sale for the right price!!!  ummmm idk probably like twelve to thirteen hundred, depends upon how she keeps growing... we also have some really nice bulls with the same breeding so if anyones interested in those my email is [email protected]

afhm

I don't care about if she is out of a known animal or not.  What does she go back to?  Will she be registered?  Do you have some other pics of her?  Thanks.

milkmaid56

i think she is a descendent from the herd alex dees had while at canna ranna ranch... not sure though have to check her moms papers ???  she will be registered, and thats the only pic i have of her and its from a couple weeks ago so its pretty recent. 

afhm

What age is she?  CAn you get some rear view and top pics?  I know of someone looking for one.  Thanks.

garybob

I have often wondered, what a Brangus cow bred to a good, appendix-free (sorry, clubby breeders), 100% Beef Shorthorn would produce.Well,  i think the heifers would make rip-snortin' good mamas that'd NEVER, Nunca, ever need pampering. Can you imagine, a soggy, deep bodied Blue-roan heifer  with a touch o'ear walking away with the AOB trophy, then, turn around and raise the heaviest calf on the place the next year?

shortyjock89

garybob said:
I have often wondered, what a Brangus cow bred to a good, appendix-free (sorry, clubby breeders), 100% Beef Shorthorn would produce.Well,  i think the heifers would make rip-snortin' good mamas that'd NEVER, Nunca, ever need pampering. Can you imagine, a soggy, deep bodied Blue-roan heifer  with a touch o'ear walking away with the AOB trophy, then, turn around and raise the heaviest calf on the place the next year?

It sounds like it would work...I mean, Santa Getrudis are awesome cows, and the only difference between the cross you mentioned and the Gert's is that your cross would have a shot of Angus in there.  I know that if I lived down south, I wouldn't want to have to show against one. (lol)

garybob

I'll bet you a dollar, that She'll work as a mother cow, even up in your country. Try to take a set of cows from your part of the world and move them too far south, and, man, it's a disaster. They'll never adapt quick enough.