Opinions on brush cutters wanted

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

I TOTALLY tore up my brush cutter the other day.  ???
So now I am searching for a new/used one. The optioins I have are: Land Pride, Woods, John Deere, Bush Hog.
Does anyone have an opinion? Good luck with certain one?
This will not be a "lawn mower"!!! I have some pretty rough cattle pasture with thorn trees, multiflora rose bushes, as well as little saplings of various types. 
My old one was a three point with hydralic back, 10 ft (as big as my tractor and I want).

Thanks all~!!

farmboy

I DONT KNOW ABOUT SPECIFICS BUT WE HAVE HAD THE SAME BUSH HOG FOR AS LONG AS I CAN REMEMBER AND HAVENT HAD A PROBLEM WITH IT OR MOWIN THE ROSE THORN BUSHES DOWN

ROAD WARRIOR

we have had several different brands, the best we have had is the Deere, ya you have to pay for that green paint but it has given us the least amount of trouble of all of them.

DLD

I don't have any experience with the Land Pride. I've owned both Woods and Deere, and I've run a few Bush Hogs. I think pretty much all of them offer at least two different models in each size range - one quality oriented, one lower cost oriented. It sounds to me like you need to buy the quality model. I'd have to say I liked the Woods the best, but then it's the only one I've bought brand new... I don't think you'd go wrong with a Deere or a Bush Hog either, just be sure and buy the heavy duty one.

afhm

What ever you do, make sure there is a reliable dealer close to you for when you need parts or service.

ELBEE

We have a "Fury-7" made by BMB (bought out by Rhino) that is 25 years old. If you can drive, or back over it with a 120 HP tractor it'll chop it up. Over the years I've cut a lot of Osage Orange "hedge" the size of a mans arm.

garybob

ELBEE said:
We have a "Fury-7" made by BMB (bought out by Rhino) that is 25 years old. If you can drive, or back over it with a 120 HP tractor it'll chop it up. Over the years I've cut a lot of Osage Orange "hedge" the size of a mans arm.
Any other ideas on controlling "horse apple" (that's shat we call them, down here), besides mechanical control?

Show Heifer

Elbee - my old one is a BMB Brute 120. And I can't tell you how old it is, cause my earliest memories of a brush cutter is that one (so roughly 25 years) and yes, I backed over and chopped up some pretty good sized locust and other trees!! But maybe I tried too much as now the gear boxes that have been welded and re-welded and then welded again, are loose, wobbling, one of the blades is half gone, and the main gear is rattling.
So far I think I am leaning toward a John Deere or a Bush Hog. Both are new and both pretty comparable in price (around 5200).  But I am sure, like everything else, they won't be near as heavy, solid or good as my ol' BMB!!  :'(

cowgirl

Show Heifer said:
I TOTALLY tore up my brush cutter the other day.  ???
So now I am searching for a new/used one. The optioins I have are: Land Pride, Woods, John Deere, Bush Hog.
Does anyone have an opinion? Good luck with certain one?
This will not be a "lawn mower"!!! I have some pretty rough cattle pasture with thorn trees, multiflora rose bushes, as well as little saplings of various types. 
My old one was a three point with hydralic back, 10 ft (as big as my tractor and I want).

Thanks all~!!
Maybe you should just have your nice "neighbor" fix it for you!!!  Will 3 years from now be ok?  (lol)

Show Heifer

Hey now.....some people just don't want to peek to early ya know!!
Red, DL....keep your eye on cowgirl......I find her a bit suspcious!! :p

Show Dad

Basically the John Deere is made by Woods. Depending on model the JD is built to a different, heavier specification. If you are looking for a heavy unit, try a Rhino by the Alamo group. The bought out the old BMB company. All this said the Bush Hog is a well built unit and will serve you for many years. Stay away from King Kutter or Howse. Their gearboxes are to light duty and will give you headaches. What ever you buy make sure you fill the gearbox with lubricant. If you don't it will void any warranty (this rule goes for anything with a gearbox that goes behind a tractor).

sjcattleco

Land Pride is a good machine!!! JD and Bush Hog are as good... I have had bad luck with Woods... I know the DOT in Ohio uses Rhino and Schulte and the mechanic I know very well says they are great mowers..

red

ShowHef- when Cowgirl said she was a friend of yours I put her right away on the suspicious character list. Will monitor her properly!

(welcome) Cowgirl!!!

Red

cowgirl

Thanks Show Heifer now I have been black listed!!!  At least give me a chance to prove myself!!  Give me a break I'm a "Newbie" !!! (lol)

Show Heifer

So your reputation preceeds you!!!  ;D

Just unloaded my NEW BUSH HOG brush cutter....can't wait to try it.....but will have to get used to running it, it is alot different than my old one!!  Much pretty too I might add! O0

red

cowgirl- show hef has been on such good behavior here that I check to make sure it's the same person.
We welcome any & all friends & what nots!!!

Red