Opinions on may heat wave heifer please

Attachments

• kkl.jpg
    kkl.jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 424

knabe

Did you want a heifer?

Look at all heat wave threads.

If you want to keep her and see what kind of bag she has breed her to an extremely easy calving bull so she knows how to have a calf by herself and push it out herself.  If its not easy first time heifers can give up and then you have a bigger problem than just a small calf from a calving ease bull.  If you really want the heat wave females make sure they can have a calf.  Can't really believe people want heat wave females to compete in female classes,especially as fat as they "need" to get them.  If you want how males, it's probably easier and cheaper to just buy one.

3cClubies

Prolly show her and sell her have had some good offers for her n from what I have heard these heat wave calves rnt the best cows

Mainevent

Knabe, not all heat wave are the same. In fact I bred my heatwave to lautners highlander, first time, she calves out a 60 pounder, no problem. Then on top of that milked that calf amazingly that cow will let anything with a mouth nurse.

twistedhshowstock

I dont think all the Heatwaves are that bad.  Sure they dont milk as good as some out there, and you dont want to turn them out in a commercial herd. But who out there with Heatwave heifers has them in a commercial herd.  All the ones I have ever dealt with have dont just fine having calves and have done just fine raising them. Sure we kept creep out for the calves, but we do that with our show calves regardless of how good their mommas are just to give them that extra push.  I have had and seen no more problems from Heatwaves than I have from many other genetic lines, some of which many of you are very high on.  Even the best genetics may not raise one worth a crap. 
So while I agree that when most people are breeding to Heatwave they are hoping for a steer, I cant see someone breeding to Heatwave wanting a heifer, there are much better options for that. But that being said, I am not gonna write one off as a cow simply because she is a Heatwave.