opinions on my county american steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

SFASUshowman

I think he is a very nice american calf...seems to have some pretty good thickness from what we can tell in the pics, at the least he is adequately boned, and from the levelness of that topline I would say he probably has to have a pretty good loin in him, and he looks like he has some good rib shape to him...if I had to knock him anywhere I would say he could be a little deeper sided, especially in that forerib(but he is green and this should come with age and feed) and he isnt really "showy" or pretty in his head but I think we run into that quiet a bit with american breeds, and it could just all be camera angle if he is still wild...but I think he will come on and do nicely for you...good luck with him

fed_champions

Not showy, take a look at the first page, and who cares if his head isn't "pretty", he's not a horse or a girl, it doesn't matter. Not deep? What the hell are you talking about, look at the picture right above your post, he's more than adequate in his depth. JMO

Also, How can you tell he's got a good loin because he's level topped, thats a muscle, not anything to do with attractiveness.

SFASUshowman

Ok so if you would have read my post, rather than just skimming it looking for something to argue and be a jerk about, which by the way I think a lot of you do on here, but if you would have truly read my post you would have noticed that I said that the steer was a really nice steer and if i had to knock a hole in him that is where I would change him, I never said he wasnt adequate in his depth of side, but I do think he could stand to be a little deeper, but I also pointed out that this is a very young, green steer and this would most likely get there with age and time on feed.  As far as the pics above my original post, in one I think he looks kinda shallow, but I think its a shadow, and in the other there is a gate in the way which prevents you from telling much on him, so I actually made most of my observations from the first pics. But I never said he wasnt adequate, just that in my opinion he could stand to have a little more.
As for his head, I would agree he is very cool fronted in those first pics, really like him through the shoulder and neck, but for some reason I am just not crazy about his head and even less so in the second pics, would I ever knock him for that in the show ring, absolutely not, I was simply stating what I would change on the steer if I could.
And for his top line, where do you think good, strong, level top lines come from? They come from good, strong loin muscles.  And they have to be even stronger loined to keep as good of a top line as this steer has when they are as long sided as this steer appears to be.  So as I stated there I would think he would have some shape to the topline and loin because those 2 things generally go hand in hand, but I may be totally wrong in it, we may get a but view and this steer have absolutely nothing there, but if we did I would be really surprised.

But Aanyway I never said the steer was inadaquate anywjere, I simply stated the small things I would change to make him even better in my opinion, I dont think we have ever produced the perfect calf, and when we do its time to get out of the show business, because then there is no poin in it!
And after all, this is all "JMO" as you so often say fed_champions, so others may have totally different opinions and I respect that, but you always seem so upset when someone elses opinion differes from yours!

Bradenh

thanks for the post guys. some friendly arguments is acceptable on my posts, glad to hear what everybody has to say about him

Bradenh

this is my exotic going to the same county. out of yellow jacket

Attachments

• yellow jacket.jpg
    yellow jacket.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 195

rackranch

YJ calve is looking nice... I would take him to the fall classic and have some fun with him... as far as the american and his hair, I don't think hair will be a big factor in the placing and you can determine how your steer looks compared to the others even if it does...seems like at the bbb about half the gerts had some hair and I think the reserve was pretty slick...BTW our YJ steer is at 1200lbs but is putting on fat a little slower than the others... I've heard this about them so you may want to get him fat sooner rather than later...G-Luck

Show stopper 95 said:
this is my exotic going to the same county. out of yellow jacket