Opinions on my first calf!

Help Support Steer Planet:

Critter Co. Livestock

These are cell phone pics of my first calf. After closing my junior years I have decided to enter the beef industry and begin breeding my own cattle, preferably Shorthorn, Shorthorn Plus and Simmental. This is my first calf born June 21 out of a Mo Better heifer (50% Simmental) and Ace of Diamonds. Let me know what your thoughts are on him. I will be marketing him later this fall if you have any interest let me know. Thank you

Attachments

• Storm.jpg
    Storm.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 168
  • strom 2.jpg
    strom 2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 164
  • storm 3.jpg
    storm 3.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 153

RankeCattleCo

He looks pretty good for a first calf.. I know the feeling, we dropped our first 2 this year also. I can't stress enough how important it is to work with them early. We tied our 2 steers up away from mommas once a week from the day they were born and it made weaning and breaking extremely easy. It's also easier to tug around a 200 lb calf than it is for a 600 lb calf in my opinion.  Good luck with him!

Critter Co. Livestock

We always break calves around 250 -300 lbs, we have him out on pasture with the cow yet but hoping to get him in within the next month and start to break him and creep him. I been showing for 10 years its just recently that I have purchased heifers and breeding. Im hoping this steer will make a successful calf for some junior!

Critter Co. Livestock

Just weaned over weekend. updated pics. He is a ShorthornPlus steer out of Ace of Diamonds x Foundation Simmental. Born on June 21st! Just started on feed and halter. If interested in him shoot me a message on here or shoot me a txt. Thanks.

Attachments

• ResizedImage_1382898076002.jpg
    ResizedImage_1382898076002.jpg
    930.2 KB · Views: 143
  • ResizedImage_1382898092189.jpg
    ResizedImage_1382898092189.jpg
    859.8 KB · Views: 157
  • ResizedImage_1382898148480.jpg
    ResizedImage_1382898148480.jpg
    354.5 KB · Views: 160

savaged

I hate unsolicited advice but since you are just starting here I go....

A much better picture (and therefore much better marketing) would be just to turn him loose, find him something interesting to look at (e.g., other cattle, or anything different to him), and start snapping pics.  If you have help find a slight up-slope in grass, get him set-up and then have the guy on the halter get his ears perked The pics here do not flatter him in my opinion.  It's really hard to make one tied or "pulling back" look good, although WMW kind of pulled that off many years ago.

The right picture can sure make a big difference.  Study the big sale catalogs and keep at it.

Nice calf - good luck.

BogartBlondes

I agree that a the picture can be the difference between a good calf and a show winner....these aren't flattering pics, but for your first time excellent work!! (clapping)