Opinions on my Monopoly x Dr. Who heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

ChristaCheatham

This is my February monopoly heifer out of a doctor who cow. I showed her at HBC and she didn't do so well. All the judge said was that she was too terminal and steery for him. Unfortunately there is not a market heifer division that I can show her in. What I want to do is breed her next early summer and get some nice steers out of her in the future. Being a monopoly and dirty what would you suggest I look into as far as AI. I know it's a long way off, but I want time to think it over. I'm thinking strictly Angus to see how she does as a cow. She is very moderate so a bull that throws a little frame won't be bad. I would like something that makes more feminine calves and cleans up the neck area, and a bull that doesn't add too much thickness, she's got enough of that lol. Any opinions are welcomed!

Attachments

• HBC bella.jpg
    HBC bella.jpg
    11.4 KB · Views: 1,183

blackdiamond

angus, or red angus should do all you want. 

Could check into a couple of other options, PM me.

vet tech

For some cool show heifers it seems like i80 works awesome on heat wave genetics. For steers, since she is dirty, it's harder to say. Yellow jacket perhaps? Give you a little more performance.......but go angus first time around.

crushertown

Too terminal?  Looks deep bodied, cleaned fronted and great smooth top line. I love the pic and heifer.  Different judge may see different.

ChristaCheatham

Thanks for the comments! Here is a pic of the line up. I was thinking about selling her after HBC .... and still thinking on it, but we will see. Yes I was thinking about using I80, but on her second calf. Do you think possibly N. Improvement or New Design would work and give me either a marketable steer or a replacement heifer?

Attachments

• HBC bella line-up.jpg
    HBC bella line-up.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 1,072

ChristaCheatham

crushertown said:
Too terminal?  Looks deep bodied, cleaned fronted and great smooth top line. I love the pic and heifer.  Different judge may see different.
Ya that's all he said bad about her, which I kind of knew that going into the ring because of listening to his other classes. But she really i very thick. We are trying to change her feed a little so she doesn't get overconditioned. How many pounds d you suggest?

vet tech

Northern improvement is usually a safe bet on heifers. Doubt he will give you a steer prospect, but a northern improvement heifer always seems to be marketable. Don't get too bothered about a judges opinion. I like your heifers picture, if she is sound and moves well I think you have a pretty nice female. Some of the country's best "cows" would do poorly at a show. And some of the best show heifers don't pan out.

CAB

Unless you have some NI in your tank you may want to use a NI son. I like what Freddy's NI son, Northern Gun has been putting on the ground. NI has brought as much as $155.00 a week ago. to $105 on Top Sires sale this week.

Warrior10

CAB said:
Unless you have some NI in your tank you may want to use a NI son. I like what Freddy's NI son, Northern Gun has been putting on the ground. NI has brought as much as $155.00 a week ago. to $105 on Top Sires sale this week.
Agree, I would talk to Freddy about using Northern Gun. He is impressive in his own right. Or look up the bull "Big Softy".

ChristaCheatham

Ok yes I will definitely talk to Freddy. Unforunately no, I only have a straw of Walks Alone and a straw of Grandmaster. I'm only in the $25-$30 range. Keep the comments coming!

savaged

ShowSteerGirl101 said:
Ok yes I will definitely talk to Freddy. Unforunately no, I only have a straw of Walks Alone and a straw of Grandmaster. I'm only in the $25-$30 range. Keep the comments coming!

Don't rule out Grandmaster for that first calf too quickly.  You might get that more maternal animal and a half blood simmy too boot.  As I recall he is heifer safe but double check.

blackdiamond

speaking of dr who, does anyone know anything about that smokey dtr of his pictured two SC ago on the back cover?  That could be one of the most phenotypically correct pictures I have ever seen.

ChristaCheatham

savaged said:
ShowSteerGirl101 said:

Don't rule out Grandmaster for that first calf too quickly.  You might get that more maternal animal and a half blood simmy too boot.  As I recall he is heifer safe but double check.
Ok I just checked his numbers. He's an 8.0 in CE and -1.3 in BW

dfm

I have been putting back a few heifers bred a lot like yours and using New Design 878 on them. The only issue was one calf this fall with a leg back and the calves out of this bull and clubby heifers are nicer than I expected.There are Angus bulls with lower bw but none with any higher accuracy so I am more comfortable with what I can expect at calving time. On the judge comments, I totally agree...pm me and I will come get her to save your fuel cost to the sale barn and commission!

bluffcountrycattle

We have a red monopoly x who made who kind of like yours...  We are thinking red angus bull Hamley, or Crimson Tide for a clubby.  If you want a black Angus, look at Bush's Unbelievable at Cattle Visions.  He's calving ease with a lot of style, and owned by Reimann.

DakotaCow

savaged said:
ShowSteerGirl101 said:

Yes he works on heifers but he certainly will not add growth. There are so many options out there why sell yourself short with grandmaster.

Bi-Lane Livestock

I-80's come as or more easy than most Angus, I would use him on her.  If you go angus and get a steer he will gennerly not be as marketable as if u use I-80.  The Bush bull looks good, he would be a good option as well for females

ChristaCheatham

Bi-Lane Livestock said:
I-80's come as or more easy than most Angus, I would use him on her.  If you go angus and get a steer he will gennerly not be as marketable as if u use I-80.  The Bush bull looks good, he would be a good option as well for females
After doing some research people are using I80 on their clubby females and seem to not have many problems with him. I will seriously consider him and do some more research. Do you know of anyone personally that I can ask how he did on Monopoly heifers. Also what is te semen price? I've seen different prices with different companies.