opinions on my other two heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

Justin69.o

These are a couple unregistered heifers on mine please give me your thoughts and opinions on what to bread to.

Attachments

• bouger1.jpg
    bouger1.jpg
    209.7 KB · Views: 161
  • bouger2.jpg
    bouger2.jpg
    218.4 KB · Views: 154
  • bouger3.jpg
    bouger3.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 158
  • herfy1.jpg
    herfy1.jpg
    218.2 KB · Views: 153
  • herfy2.jpg
    herfy2.jpg
    227.4 KB · Views: 150

Aussie

Justin69.o said:
viewers please dont feel shy to comment
Pictures don't do them justice. Try to kneel down to get photos so the camera is more looking up or level with the cattle rather than looking down on them. Have someone distract them so they look at the other person rather than you and the camera. Just a suggestion keep posting they look fine.

RankeCattleCo

Try Mercedez Benz if you want some show calves, he pretties his calves up.

Second- I'd take those heifers in my pasture over a average show heifer any day, as I bet she's 50 times cheaper to feed and will flat out raise a better calf.  Just My opinion.

ruhtram

If you are going for some clubbys i'd go with a hairball. Rocky Balboa,Bodacious, Dirty Hairy 2

Shorthorns4us

What are your objectives for calves in your operation?

I am commercially focused with the show ring as an added bonus.  There is no reason that commercial animals can't go to shows and do well.

This is just my opinion on your calves and by no way am I an expert, but I believe you have a couple of very nice heifers that will be great commercial cows.
The black one to me needs some depth and guts added to her and I wouldn't change anything about hereford for the mama cow application.
I agree with a LBW Angus-- is a good choice.

With the Black heifer- I would go Red Angus-- There are lots of good Red Angus sires out there with LBW that will also bulk her calf up and give them some depth.  The Red Angus really grow!!! Everything that goes across the scales at weaning you can tell at our house who has some Red Angus in them-- they are usually heavier.  I haven't AI'ed any Red Angus for a couple years so I am a little behind on the newest sires, but I have had good luck with sires that go back to Cherokee Canyon or the Bieber Lines.  I have a Bieber Make Mimi Durham Red cow -- and wow- she is the cat's meow!! :)

The Hereford heifer-- I am a Shorty person and there is where I would go with her-- you should get a great maternal and carcass focused animal.  I would really recommend using a Waukaru bull from their string on the Hereford.

Thanks  EF

Justin69.o

i just want to produce commercial calves that a can show or other kids can show. I want them to be fancy but still perform highly. I also want to eventually expand my cow herd as i get older. I like the red angus idea but i also rlly like Mercedez Benz. And with the short horn idea i think it's good but my dad doesn't agree he loves black and black baldy calves.

breyfarm

Cruiser said:
If you are going for some clubbys i'd go with a hairball. Rocky Balboa,Bodacious, Dirty Hairy 2
Highly reccomend not bodacious..JMO but we had two 90 pounders this year

RyanChandler

Breed em to a bull with a <70lb bw for the first calf.  Try "fancy" the second time around.  There have been some replies that you can just take your commercial calf to the fair and do good.  Wellll.... that's all relative to not only "the level of the competition at the show," but also what one considers "good."  Sale barn calves aren't winning Ft Worth.

Justin69.o

OK thanks for the advice i don't know how many of you go to the iowa state fair but how do you guys think the herf would contend there?

amss101

Trausch's Ego Trip, they come tiny (50 to 70 lbs) then get better everyday. At least you will have a shot at a marketable calf for the show world. It costs too much to get a heifer into production to waste a year on a salebarn angus deal. Unless thats your goal??????  But i doubt it since your on this site.  Best of luck 

C

cornish

time-to-show said:
Trausch's Ego Trip, they come tiny (50 to 70 lbs) then get better everyday. At least you will have a shot at a marketable calf for the show world. It costs too much to get a heifer into production to waste a year on a salebarn angus deal. Unless thats your goal??????  But i doubt it since your on this site.  Best of luck 

I was always under the impression that it costs too much to develop a heifer out to be a cow-- and then ruin her with a monster sized calf from a club calf bull, especially with market prices like they are?

I wonder why the people who 'know' what they are doing-- always breed to calving ease angus bulls-- but the people who think they 'know' what they are doing say go for the gold first time- go clubby.?

RyanChandler

feed grass said:
time-to-show said:

I was always under the impression that it costs too much to develop a heifer out to be a cow-- and then ruin her with a monster sized calf from a club calf bull, especially with market prices like they are?

I wonder why the people who 'know' what they are doing-- always breed to calving ease angus bulls-- but the people who think they 'know' what they are doing say go for the gold first time- go clubby.?
Some people grew up on cattle ranches, others w/ their 10 x 10 stalls and "cool rooms"  on their 3 acre ranchette on the outskirts of the suburbs.  It's just a lack of awareness.  For people that haven't experienced calving problems, its hard for them to accurately quantify the risk associated with using a Solute type bull.  Some just don't realize the possible, if not likely, disastrous outcomes. I don't wish bad luck on anyone, but that's literally what is takes... for a person to learn first hand and have to put down their prize possession heifer. 

For such a "conservative" bunch, there sure are some gamblers on here.