Opinions on new Angus EPD

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

Just wondering what people are thinking about the new angus EPD that they are starting to work with and publish?
Good, Bad?

red

SH- can you give more info on the changes or where to go for a link?

thanks,
Red

kanshow

It wouldn't happen to be a Disposition EPD or "True Angus?" EPD would it?

:D  (clapping)  A higher number indicates more tendency to target a kick? 

knabe

a higher number means more percent angus, less everything else, or the opposite?

if angus weren't black, their history would be a little funnier.

Show Heifer

The new EPD is HP EDPs. They are suppose to reflect the increase chance of the sires heifers becoming pregnant as heifers during a normal breeding period. www.angussireresearch.com
Sorry for the confusion,  I just figured everyone on SP would have heard about them by now.

And if we are going to talk about breed purity, lets just type EVERY breed and start all over with a new base line, because I am still willing to bet there are NO purebred/fullblood breeds left anymore!! Anyone willing to take me up on that?

knabe

Show Heifer said:
And if we are going to talk about breed purity, lets just type EVERY breed and start all over with a new base line, because I am still willing to bet there are NO purebred/fullblood breeds left anymore!! Anyone willing to take me up on that?

breeds are simply man imposed land races.  there is no such thing as a "pure" breed.  my comments with angus have to do with denial.  in college, there were lots of angus with brown around their muzzle.  some charolais with light brown spots on their quarter, and then the herefords with the bull perfection i think, thrown out, the list is endless.  it's why i at least like the fullblood maine's.  at least they are still trying.  and even then, they are a cross between a shorthorn and draft breeds.  in my mind, fullblood chi's and any cattle that came out of africa are relatively pure.  with boats, they and other cattle that were closely related came to europe and created "new" land races, but were probably from one stock.  purebred maines also have their issues, as the term is a little misleading, but hey.  most of the rare breeds in the name the breed threads are land races usually created by cattle left behind by explorers and is kind of nonsense to get all hyped about as neeeeeeeeeeding to preserve them unless they have some adaptation that is interesting, ie feet that grow fast to resist erosion on rocks similar to shetland ponies, seen a lot of trimming nightmares with those.  it's almost like the irish blacks, lowlines etc should be the fullbloods and a large clump called purebreds.  shorthorns are also interesting from a purity standpoint, particularly how they have changed from the early 80's.  it's intersting to read breed type books from the 1880's.  very interesting.

itk

I thought it was a needs to be cut yet stays intact because every male angus born needs to be someones herd sire epd.  ;D