Opinions on our new bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

Turkey Creek Ranch

We purchased 3 new bulls just recently. I was wondering what everyone thought of them.

Bull 1: This is R T P Temptation. He is a grandson of Connealy Lead On, and goes back to some Blackbird genetics. His dam is a War Fame 8541 daughter. This was the only son of his sire that sold in the sale. ($4000)

Bull 2: This is our new heifer bull. He is out of a herd bull R T P Designed Prime 4134, and goes back to a good cow, Fountains Fortress. ($3200)

Bull 3: This is a bull from TC Ranch. He is out of MC 2500, and goes back to Connealy Network and G A R Grid Maker on the dam side. ($3000)

I have birthing EPD's on all these bulls, and have ultrasound data on the last. We are planning to DNA test all 3 of them through Igenity. If you would like more info on the breeder of the first 2 bulls drop me a message.

Thanks,
Tyler

Attachments

• TEMPTATION-1.jpg
    TEMPTATION-1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 519
  • 2008STEERSBULLSCALVES019-1.jpg
    2008STEERSBULLSCALVES019-1.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 514
  • 2008STEERSBULLSCALVES025-1.jpg
    2008STEERSBULLSCALVES025-1.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 516

justintime

Tyler, I like the looks of your new bulls a lot. Good sound structured well muscled bulls!!  Can you tell me what criteria did you use to select Bull 2 to use on your heifers?  I know it is hard to evaluate using only one picture of each bull, but from these pictures it suggests to me that Bull 2 is straighter fronted, and wider skulled than either Bull 1 or Bull 3. Both of these traits seem to indicate harder calving to me. Again, Let me clarify that I am basing this observation from one set of pictures alone,.... and I probably shouldn't do this. If I saw these bulls in the flesh, I may change my opinion. From these pictures, I would suggest that Bull 3 is the calving ease bull of these 3. But then, I have been wrong many times before. I would be interested in seeing your thoughts on why each bull was selected for the purpose you are planning to use them for.  I am in no means trying to bash you bulls... or the reasons you selected them. I like all these bulls and I think they are the improving kind. I am just trying to get a better understanding as to what other people use in the selection process of herd bulls.

In my own operation, I am always quite amazed at which bulls leave the bull pen first. Last year, the bull I considered the best by far, in my pen, was the last to leave... and I priced the entire pen at the same amount and let the buyer pick. Everyone sees these critters a little differently so I am always interested in how and why certain bulls are selected.

showgirl2010

JIT, same here our first bull to sale this year was my last pick.  He was a leggy type bull where as I like the deeper one with more of a behind.  It was funny because my dad said he would be the first to go and all be darned if the guy couldn't keep his eyes off that one.

Jamie

Turkey Creek Ranch

justintime, the heifer bull (#2) was selected based on genetics mostly. He comes from a very low birth weight line on both the sire and dam side. This was what we mainly used as a selection. He is a little straighter fronted than the other bull. To be honest, we are not planning on using bull #3 that much. his front end is not good by any means, he is so bow legged he kicks his legs out when he walks. He was originally going to be a heifer bull, but we decided to use him as a clean up bull on older cows.

Turkey Creek Ranch

I wish these pictures better represented the bulls. That first bulls hip is a world better in person. If you would like EPDs or other information you can message me.

Thanks

Bawndoh

Just curious why you would spend $3000 on a bull who cannot walk properly?  You said he is very bow legged.
I really like the profiles of all the bulls, good and deep from their heart to their flank.  I do see how #1 would have a whale of a hip.  He was definately a good purchase.

Turkey Creek Ranch

He has very good #'s, and at the sale, we didnt get a chance to look at them the day before, and the day of the sale they were in pens with deep straw. and in the ring he didnt look bad, but we got him home and he looked horrible.

Bawndoh

That sucks...proof that s**t happens!
You have to be very careful buying bulls strictly off numbers.  We will pick out bulls according to phenotype, and then go look at them, and weed them out according to performance (numbers).  Phenotype first, Genotype second.  You will run into TONS of bulls who have "good numbers", but look aweful.  EPD's, DNA testing, and ultrasound measurements are TOOLS, not things to live by.

DiamondS

Hello,

Buying bulls can be very rewarding and trying at the same time.  My first year as the manager of a ranch, we had to come up with 13 hd of bulls.  Some worked and some didn't.  I was really disappointed in a lot of bulls that we looked at.  But we saw some really good ones too. 

We bought a Coneally Lead On son (my bosses pick based on numbers) that at age two his hocks were blown and he wouldn't even come out of the trees to look at a cow in heat.  Salbarn bound. 

It's hard to tell from the picture but I would tend to agree that I would use caution on bull #2 on heifers.  Can't tell much on length and front end structure but he's fairly block headed.  All three bulls have adequate depth of body which is extremely important to me personally!

Finally, if you're really unsatisfied with your TC bull, contact Vance or Dru, I'm sure they'll try to make it right.  I worked for them out of highschool and they are good honest people.  If you don't call them and visit with them about your purchase, then there's no way they can help you.  I've seen a few 2500's and I personally don't care for most of them. 

I used TC Rito 416 on heifers this year and got along well, calves are starting to bloom, but I wasn't sure at first.  My favorite bull this year is Accelerated's bull Circle S At Ease 4221.  My calves out of him (out of first calf heifers) are really exceptional. 

Enough rambling.  Good luck with your new bulls!

DiamondS

Thanks Red, I was previously a breedersworld fan, but got tired of the new setup.  I really like this website and the people!!  Glad to be here!!! (thumbsup)