opinions on shipping concern

Help Support Steer Planet:

buckeye

Purchased a few head of cattle from a sale and the consultant said he would get them on a trailer. Get call today from a driver saying he would be this way tonight with the cattle and says $375 per head. Well problem is never agreed with anyone on a price. Give your thoughts

woltemathangus

not all trucking costs are agreed upon before the truck leaves. how many miles did he haul them. 375 to me means that he is hauling them quite a ways.

buckeye

Nebraska to Ohio for $1125.... ok if price isnt agreed upon how is person responsible for paying?  Can tell him to take them back snd i can get them hauled for a lot less.

Bilmar

If you don't pay and tell him to take them back, he might go to a sale barn and sale them to get money for shipping either way he gets paid cause you paid for the cattle. Learn from this an ask the cost be for you ship next time.Good luck and keep posted on out come.

pf

Pay the man, get your cattle and call it a learning lesson, you agreed to the trucking bill like it or not when the consultant told you he'd get them on a truck. The way I always get over the feeling of getting hosed by trucking, is to put it in perspective piece by peice, if you left your driveway today to pick your 3 hd up, what's your truck worth, trailer worth, diesel isn't 89 cents anymore, how much time would it take you miles etc., whats your time worth, time is money, in our society no one wants to work for free.....(high school part time hired hands now ask for a raise after 3 months wtf!)

I know your thinking you could have caught a back haul or grouped more cattle up headed you way to cheapen it up, but it wouldn't have probably been that much cheaper. Nebraska to Ohio isn't just next door, and moving small groups is costly...been there many times, 375 a hd they may not have done you any favors but i've seen worse. hope it worked out for you.

chambero

I just made a 12 hr run to Nebraska and spent 600 just in diesel in a regular truck/trailer, not to mention what vehicle use and time if I were trying to do it for profit.  If total cost is less than around $2-$3 per mile, you got a deal.

savaged

This past December I paid $250.00 per head for cows from Reiman's sale (Iowa) to Cincinnati.  I will say that I have purchased breds from that area the past two years and each time I did not know the trucking cost until we had them in my trailer and I asked.  $350 seems higher than the average to me for that trip.