opinions on shorthorn plus heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

everybreedcounts

She is a May 2011, shorthorn dam and angus sire. She about 2-3 months bred, and has been on pasture for the past 6 months.

Attachments

• photo(21).JPG
    photo(21).JPG
    306.3 KB · Views: 197

everybreedcounts

sorry heres the pic right side up! i will try to get better pictures of her

Attachments

• photo(21).JPG
    photo(21).JPG
    316.8 KB · Views: 212

jbzdad

looks like groceries have been in short supply there... she was a late spring bred so I understand why you held her back to be a fall calver...you would have really needed to push her to get her ready to breed last summer
I like blues and think she will make a nice cow for you...wish we had a better profile shot 
I think she could use a little more grass  the next six months to get her ready to calve... hopefully your grass will be better this summer... if she loses much more she will be tough to breed back
    always hard after first calvers

BlkAngus

She doesn't look very powerful.  I agree with the above, she needs to be heavier.  The first calf will suck the life out of her.

leanbeef

She's not fat or "powerful" but I think a decent kind of replacement in decent pasture condition considering it's March and grass is right around the corner. My first calf heifers aren't carrying much more condition than this heifer...they have all summer to grow & gain before calving in September. You want her in good shape at calving time...not necessarily fat enough for the junior show circuit.

What do u have her bred to?

garybob

leanbeef said:
She's not fat or "powerful" but I think a decent kind of replacement in decent pasture condition considering it's March and grass is right around the corner. My first calf heifers aren't carrying much more condition than this heifer...they have all summer to grow & gain before calving in September. You want her in good shape at calving time...not necessarily fat enough for the junior show circuit.

I agree. She's plenty-good for making a calf-raising cow.

GB

J

JTM

garybob said:
leanbeef said:

I agree. She's plenty-good for making a calf-raising cow.

GB
I also agree with leanbeef and GB. 2 year olds never look that great unless you are pouring the grain to them. She should make you a really good cow. Couldn't have a better cross in my opinion.

everybreedcounts

She is a show heifer.I dont know if they have this in other states, but in California in a couple counties have a show for Replacement heifers at the county fair. kids get heifers, they send them to be bred in December-February, then then show them when they are ideally 6-8 months pregnant. She's my heifer for this show, I just bought her after being bred because my original heifer had complications. I will be starting her on grain so shes fat for the show, then our fair has an auction and local ranchers buy the heifers from the 4-H/FFA kids. So I wont be keeping her as a cow. Thanks for all the opinions on her! Also shes pretty tiny, only about 1000 lbs. Shes a pretty nice heifer for my purposes, and Im going to make a good amount of money on her, so Im happy with her.

As for who she's bred to, just an Shorthorn bull her breeder has, nothing special. Tri Star genetics if you are familar

garybob

everybreedcounts said:
She is a show heifer.I dont know if they have this in other states, but in California in a couple counties have a show for Replacement heifers at the county fair. kids get heifers, they send them to be bred in December-February, then then show them when they are ideally 6-8 months pregnant. She's my heifer for this show, I just bought her after being bred because my original heifer had complications. I will be starting her on grain so shes fat for the show, then our fair has an auction and local ranchers buy the heifers from the 4-H/FFA kids. So I wont be keeping her as a cow. Thanks for all the opinions on her! Also shes pretty tiny, only about 1000 lbs. Shes a pretty nice heifer for my purposes, and Im going to make a good amount of money on her, so Im happy with her.

As for who she's bred to, just an Shorthorn bull her breeder has, nothing special. Tri Star genetics if you are familar
The only Tri Star Genetics that I can find in the Net in California is a Dairy Semen outfit. Surely, nobody AI'd her that way. ??? ??? ???

GB