Opinions on these Angus bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

LN

Any opinions on these bulls or experience with them? I have some SimAngus heifers, ranging anywhere from 1/2 to high percentage Angus. All are sired by RAB-EGL Blue Moon. I'm looking for a CE Angus bull to use and am not concerned with show ring appeal. Just will he make some functional, cowy females.

SS Objective T510 OT26
Mytty In Focus
MCC Cupid 414
SAV Final Answer

Other recommendations are welcome too!

Thanks!!!

VJ

According to my Genex guy, Final Answer is the easiest calving Angus bull ever. They do grow well too. I have my clubby hfrs bred to him. They're due March 2010.

schafer angus

The past two years we have had In Focus heifer calves out of 036 daughters and grand daughters. I personally find them to be deep ribbed and thick built. The heifers weaned this year out of In Focus were some of the lower weights though. I have not had any raise a calf yet but am satisfied so far.

AStar

If I were going to breed heifers I would get sexed semen on 878. ABS has it very reasonable and they will make great cows that will wean big calves. All heifer calves out of a proven Ce bull is almost a trouble free guarantee.

wrc

Any of your bulls would be a good choice, although I'm not a big fan of T510.  Another bull to look at would be OCC Kirby, we have been using him on first calf heifers and are pleased with the results.  He is the sire of BC Marathon.  My nieghbor sold a 10,000 hiefer by Kirby out of a first calf Alias x char heifer this past year.

Show Heifer

Since you are planning on keeping replacement heifer, make sure you check for genetic defects..... and listen to barn chatter.

I have had luck with TC Freedom and so far, genetic defect free, and no barn talk.
I would also strongly consider and recommend Juneau. He creates wonderful momma cows.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
The In Focus an Final Answer bulls have worked real well for me on Angus, anymore heifer calving is as easy or easier than the cow's a few guys have more trouble with heifer claiming calves than the calving.... In Focus heifer are very moderate an good producing mothers that bred back well.. The Final Answer calves are very good an maybe faster growing on what we have, but I don't exppect the Final Answer heifer to have as much volume an as easy a keeper's, but they proably will be bigger to...The Cupid bull looks very interesting an may use in the future ....

GoWyo

If you want some in depth Angus discussions, check out the general forum on Advantage Cattle Services.  I have "lurked" over there for quite a while and the discussions are pretty interesting.

Bulldaddy

878 mentioned by another poster would be a top choice.  Easy calving and they make great cows.  Also, I have had good luck with OCC Legend on Simmental heifers.  May not be big enough for your high percentage Angus.  I have seen a few good In focus calves but most I have seen don't have enough to them.

Cattledog

Honestly, I'm not a fan of Objective, Final Answer, or In Focus.  I saw Cupid and was really impressed with him!  I think that Objectives are one of the worst lines in the angus breed.  I don't know if I've ever seen an In Focus that had a good front end.  There was a post about TC Freedom earlier and I can honestly say that I loved our calves out of him.  I probably won't use him again but he did us right.  I'm using a bull by the name of Reachout right now.  He is out of a Freedom sired dam.

the angus111

while the semen is pricey,the females are great,BR MIDLAND.I am also a Genex ABR and alot of people are using Final Answer and liking thecalves.IMO. IN FOCUS is definetly calving ease ,sure dont like the weaning weights.rusty

Cattledog

the angus111 said:
while the semen is pricey,the females are great,BR MIDLAND.I am also a Genex ABR and alot of people are using Final Answer and liking thecalves.IMO. IN FOCUS is definetly calving ease ,sure dont like the weaning weights.rusty

We have some Midland cows and love them! 

Squeek

I wouldn't be afraid to breed any heifer to In Focus or Final Answer. I don't think either bull's calves will absolutely blow you away as they mature but they do a lot of things right and we will continue to use them both until we find something we like better( always up for suggestions).

LN

Thanks for all the opinions so far.

I think I may add Midland to the list, I like his EPDs a lot. I looked at the OCC lines too and my problem with them is their maternal calving ease is too low for me.

And it seems with In Focus people either love him or hate him, not too much middle ground.

Keep the suggestions coming!

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
You people that use some of these Angus bulls on these simmi- cross  I would sure be interested in if they have any horns or scurs out of these matings.  One of my friends flushed his purebred reg. Angus to Meyer an every calf either had scurs or horns out of seventeen calves, an there was no chance for error on this mating , calves were out of Meyer an this reg. Angus cow.  Were breeding some of our reg. Angus cows to simmental, partly because there is a good market for them, an also will have more of a idea what cows have a problem with not being homozygous polled. 

Torch

Depends if you are going to keep the calves or not.

I have seen a lot of Final Answer cows that have terrible udders. I think he is to far out CE that I have heard that there can be some second calf birthing problems if you don't watch what you follow him with.

I am not a big fan of OCC genetics, they just don't fit my program (purebred Angus).

I like TC Freedom and BR Midland. Just don't use Midland on any bad footed cows, he will make the problem worse. I also like Connealy Thunder (But maybe only on the 50/50 heifers), Connealy Packer and Connealy Frontpage. I would suggest that you check out both the TC and Connealy programs the have some great bulls and are great people.

Back a few years ago I used the proven Northern Improvement bull and have good solid performing cows out of him. They aren't top 1% but none have been culled for underperforming either. And they produce some great looking calves every year.

kfacres

we are in the process of growing out 5 or 6 coming 2 yo in focus daughters at school.    Really can't say anything great about any of them.  The best ones are mearly marginal- the worst ones= are some of the worst we have (20+- total).  The others are sired by Lancer, Major League, Five Star, and the old herd bull... 

PRO

I think that Mytty In Focus has been dramatically overused.  I would stay away from using a angus bull with a genetic defect.  Final Answer seems to be a decent choice.  We pulled some Northern Improvement bull calves, but the heifers didn't have the best pelvics either.  The heifers were registered chiangus cattle.  Aberdeen would be interesting but I am not sure how proven he is on birth weights.  The Blue Moon heifers should have calving ease on their side, but their pelvic size might be something to check into.

the angus111

I dont think there is a perfect bull.We used 1407 and was told they have terrible udders,our experience was good,nice udders,placed perfectly on quarters and teat size was good.we have sandy ground,so no foot problems as far as midlands go.we cull bad footed cattle and that eliminates the chances of enhancing problems.Freedom has made excellent females also,just look at Pollard Farms.I think alot has to do with these cows we are breeding the bulls too. OCC GENETICS have their niche in the market also.Its what you want from your program.Rusty

ploughshare

The only bull on your list that I would use is MCC Cupid.  Cupid is an easy calver and Brent Murphy went as far as to almost say he was a sure fire calving ease bull.  You have to love Cupid's dam as well.  Otherwise, I would recommend  OCC Homer and Jauer Honesty 726 1020 although none of the bulls offer much milk.  Better CE bulls with more milk would be Gambles Convoy or Dameron Raptor.