opinions on these heifers

Help Support Steer Planet:

showman ne

These are the two shorthorn heifers we'll be showing this year. What do you guys think?

Attachments

• countess.jpg
    countess.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 548
  • countess1.jpg
    countess1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 530
  • mirage.jpg
    mirage.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 537
  • mirage1.jpg
    mirage1.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 531

redwingfarm

2 very nice heifers in different ways, I like the first heifer probably the most due to her thickness and power, however I would like to see a little more set to her rear legs, they are too straight for me, she is the better of the 2 for jackpot shows but also looks more terminal to me as opposed to a cow prospect.  The second heifer looks more cowy however she looks pinched in her heart (a common problem with shorthorns, black really helps to hide this) she also looks like she toes out on the front end and could be an indication of future coarseness in the shoulders.  HOWEVER if the names on the pics are correct as to pedigree, feel free to send heifer #2 to NW Ohio I'm sure I could find a place in my barn for her.
Good luck with them

Endless Meadows

I have to really appreciate the rib shape and dimension of the first heifer.  It looks like she is very muscular as well.  She is maybee a touch round in her shoulder and could use a little more circumference of bone, but is still a good heifer.  What bull is she out of?  The second heifer would be my pick of the two.  I really like her extension and angularity.  She really puts all of the pieces together well.

bcosu

i like them both. i prefer the second heifer though, she is thick and still has a heifer look. looks like she would make a good cow with the amount of depth she has. you really have to admire the thickness on the fisrt one though. she could be a steer maker. good luck.

Joe Boy

I do not like either calf, NOW since I have your attention I'll tell you why, because they aren't in my herd.  Very good calves.  I agree with all the post.  My selection would be the second one for a cow, and the first will probably do best in the ring.  If the first one is bred to the right bull she will not be a problem calving but the first one will more likely breed any way you choose to go.

Good set of heifers.  I love them.

I have a Maine/Lemi cross similar to the first one and I had to help her just a little have her first calf and it is a real eye catcher.  So, I am not saying the first one will not be a good mother but my luck has been that I need to watch that type of heifer more intently at calving time.

doubled

Nice, two different heifers, that way you have your bases covered with two different types, good luck

mike

Did you show either one at Norfolk yesterday and if so how did you do?

showman ne

yeah the roan stood third in the march april class that had 9 or 10 head, the champ overall came out of that class, Habeger said she followed the champ more closely in type but wasn't far enough along yet. the red was 3rd of three. said she was good just not his type, o well first show, she'll have her day someday

mike

Do you happen to know the top 7 in the heifer and steer show?

showman ne

Spring Creek Farms said:
where are they from?

roan from kolt, red from sullivan

mike said:
Do you happen to know the top 7 in the heifer and steer show?

heifers were:
Grand-Cody Schulz, Shorthorn
Reserve-Tyler Trius, High Maine
3rd-Cody Schulz, Commercial
4th-Kelsey Rutt, Chi
5th-Sarah Suder, Res Shorthorn
6th-Jara Settles, Charolais
7th-Sonderup, Angus