Opinions on this Calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

bird_dog

Just wanted to get a couple of opinions on this steer. This is the first calf I have raised in 15 years and it will be my sons first calf to show. I know the pictures are not great. We show in 3 months and he is weighing around 925lbs. I would like him to show in the light weight class. Let me know what you think

Attachments

• Steer1.JPG
    Steer1.JPG
    354.1 KB · Views: 149
  • Steer2.JPG
    Steer2.JPG
    279.4 KB · Views: 141
  • Steer3.JPG
    Steer3.JPG
    289.5 KB · Views: 146

Cattledog

Looks like a nice calf.  I'd keep feeding him and not worry too much about the class breaks.  If you want him in a lighter class shrink him down, don't withhold feed.

LostFarmer

When we first started the market project the guy that has been helping us said feed a calf is like Voting in Chicago.  Feed early and often.  He meant don't waste time getting them fat.  Not many calves that are over done.  It can happen but not the norm.  He also said that to be done a month early is much preferred to being 100 lbs too light.  Just what I have been told.  We will see if it works in a few weeks.  LF

LostFarmer

If he is getting 20 lbs a day of good feed he should be gaining 2.5 - 3.0 lbs per day.  Do the math and you should have a good idea where you are at.  So 925 now and 90 days to show you need to keep pouring the feed to him.  You can shrink him easier than you and push him at the end. 

rackranch

I agree, keep feeding and get him fat.. I would be feeding at least 50% corn ration this last 90 days and adding a bypass fat if he needed it.G-Luck
Cattledog said:
Looks like a nice calf.  I'd keep feeding him and not worry too much about the class breaks.  If you want him in a lighter class shrink him down, don't withhold feed.

RCF Farms

If hes 925, and he will only gain 50lb a month if it is hot where you are thats only 1075lb. Depends on what you are going for, but a County or state show its market time and they want them market ready!!!  I have always fed hard then at 1200lb start feeding barley based feed to put on the cover. You want to be 1250-1350 I would say with 1300lb ideal. If you have an cool room your calf could gain more per month, but it is hard to put on the pounds when it gets hot, they dont eat as much.

LittleHeifer

he is a nice steer. good wide butt and straight over his top. I would keep pouring the feed to him. fairs do look for the hevier steers around fair time and they tend to bring more money. Judges look for a market ready steer around 1250-1350 steers this gives them a nice fat coverage yeilding them higher. good luck
little heifer (angel)

Telos

Looks like he is coming along nicely. Just keep doing what you are doing. It is hot, and if you get the ration too hot he might go off feed.  

Just keep him coming along until the weather cools a bit. Then you might want to push him a little harder on a hotter ration.

Rock_N_Roll_Ranch

if it is the calfs last show ? Well if it is i  would say keep the calf cool and try to give him tree times a feeding to put the weight on because you always can take the weigt off the calf but you cant put enough on a calf usuallyperfect weight is about 1225-1350lbs