Opinions on this heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

canadiancowgirl101 said:
I have no clue what lines she has in her... we bought her at a livestock expo.

I am not familir with livestock expo except for the one's we have like the Ohio Beef expo.Is that what your are referring too.
OR are you talking about the stockyards?

canadiancowgirl101

like the Ohio Beef expo.... like a show
OH Breeder said:
canadiancowgirl101 said:

I am not familir with livestock expo except for the one's we have like the Ohio Beef expo.Is that what your are referring too.

shortyjock89

Wasn't there a sale catalogue with pedigrees in it? At most Beef Expo's down here, most cattle have to be registered.

cowman

canadiancowgirl101 said:
OH Breeder said:
canadiancowgirl101 said:

I'm out.

OH Breeder

canadiancowgirl101 said:
OH Breeder said:
canadiancowgirl101 said:

There should have been a catalog or listing. What expo did you buy her at? What sale, Simmi?

OH Breeder

canadiancowgirl101 said:

This is the only thing that I would then express concerns about. If you know absolutely nothing about her breeding I am not sure I would risk it. If you know what she comes from you can try and use genetics that work on those lines. It would be a gamble. 50 50 good or bad. How do you know that is all she is simmi-angus if there is no history on her?

cdncowboy

Well I'll venture a guess on what goes with the "livestock expo"  several of the shows up here have a prospect show and sale.  They are not usually all that detailed with pedigree.  As well not all come with much of one,  there are only a handful of serious clubby breeders up north.  Probably only half the consignments will have any recognizable pedigree,  and I'd say less than half the buyers have a clue what any of the clubby bulls are.  Some of the favorites of the past might be known but I'd almost be willing to bet the farm that at the sales this fall that no more than half a dozen buyers will know who Walks Alone, Ree Heights or any of the new kids are.  Some of the consignors will not have heard of them either,  its just that we'll never see semen on most of these bulls so most don't care to learn much about them.

Now cowgirl,  just realize the comments on here come from places where they play the showing game at a higher level than most Canadians do.  She may not be the greatest heifer ever born but she's yours, take the ball and run with it.  Few of us get to start with the very best.  Get her bred right, I like the WMW suggestion,  and you never know what will happen.

Show Dad

CG101- What type of cattle do you want (need) to have?

That is the basic question you need to answer before looking at the advise (some of it was quite good) that has been shared. I do like her depth too. It was the first thing I noticed. I would venture to guess she also has a great udder. She has the look of what she was made for, raising a calf.

tlcattle

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
tlcattle said:
why are you using a curry comb on her anyways??

Probably to get the poo offa her.  It's awfull cold in Canada to be gettin the calves in daily to get them clean. 

yea but a curry comb doesn't get down deep enough?? why not a scotch comb?