Opinions Please - Shorthorn cow

Help Support Steer Planet:

OKshorthorn

This cow is out of a Double Vision bull and a Ka'ba Keystone daughter. We are wanting to breed her with a black bull hoping for a bull calf. She is a TH carrier so we have to stay away from that. She is a little heavy fronted and we are hoping to find something that will clean her up a tick. We have thought about Hired Man? Anyone have any ideas?

Attachments

• peek one more time.jpg
    peek one more time.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 162

Warrior10

I like your cow, looks really thick! Here are a few bulls that are THF that I think would work well.
One and Only- Heatwave son, throws style and power. Good chance to get a Baldy.
Hired Man- Used him on our THC this year, seen mixed results with him though. Chance to get a Baldy.
Rumor Mill- New bull being promoted- Really like the looks of this bull very correct/powerful looking. Chance to get a cool marked calf.

OH Breeder

She is a great candidate for Hannibal. She has enough body and  he should clean up her front end a tick. Who Made Who will give you rock front end and respectable club calf. If she is sound Who is great for fancy show calves. Mossy Oak would also work.

wyatt

i would try mercadies benz he is an ali doc who cross really fancy freaky necked calves good haired
tyson another ali son will clean her front and add even more muscle
spice maybe seen some good ones out of him
good luck love your cow

OKshorthorn

Thanks for the replies! I've never really researched the black hided creatures. Looking through the massive amount of bulls out there is pretty intimidating. I like the "One and Only" bull, but you can only tell so much by a picture.  "Hannibal" is really intriguing to me, It was my last year of showing when the Hannible calves were really taking off. She is a 05 model so I have a few years left to try both of them.

wyatt

Redwine Brothers Cattle said:
What about Rocky Balboa? Or All Aboard? Isn't he the clean full sib to Monopoly?
rocky would do the same as m benz or tyson m benz would produce a showyer calf and yes all aboard and park place are clean full sibs to monopoly could use ali himself i mentioned two sons and you mentioned one they will all clean up her neck without sacrificeing power

DCC show cattle

all of our rocky calves have been a little rounder made but still plenty good. In saying that I would go with either ali or hannibal and figure out which one of the two worked best she is a super cow. Both bulls make good steers but great females! Will clean up that front end and keep the good parts and a sound structure, really like her!

OKshorthorn

I do like the Mercedes Benz bull, my brother has read this thread and he is a big fan of Benz. I'm leaning toward Hannible...maybe I should make a poll and we will AI her to the winning bull?

skeeter

want to compliment you on your DV cow.  realize you're wanting to breed to black bull and if she was mine it would be WMW.  WMW out of a Double Vision daughter, Kaba Keystone grandaughter - that has to equal one stout showsteer.  IMO you've got a steer mama that hasn't shown up for several years.  DV and Kaba Keystone - don't get much better than that for stinger shorty steers, even today.  you flush her to  a carrier free clubby shorty bull - has to be big time shorthorn steers for OK and TX.  I really think you've got something special and rare with her.  Best of luck with her.

OKshorthorn

skeeter said:
want to compliment you on your DV cow.  realize you're wanting to breed to black bull and if she was mine it would be WMW.  WMW out of a Double Vision daughter, Kaba Keystone grandaughter - that has to equal one stout showsteer.  IMO you've got a steer mama that hasn't shown up for several years.  DV and Kaba Keystone - don't get much better than that for stinger shorty steers, even today.  you flush her to  a carrier free clubby shorty bull - has to be big time shorthorn steers for OK and TX.  I really think you've got something special and rare with her.  Best of luck with her.

Thank you very much for your kind words. She is currently open and we are wanting to breed her in October for a mid July calf. Its possible we may decide to flush her now, then still be ok to breed her for a fall calf next year. Thanks again for the compliments. 

wyatt

she is a good one cant go wrong with a good blue roan hannible would be a good one just havent herd much of him latley ali is really getin up there breathe easy i80 rocky tyson and many more i80 would even be a realy good one he is freaky freaky necked super thick and stout and hairy  and he is even heifer safe

shortii

I haven't personally seen hired man myself  so anyone can correct me if im wrong but please don't attack me. Judging the way he is in his picture, it looks like they were trying to hide his front end so he might be a little course in his shoulder. 

wyatt

he could be a little open shouldered he might even break in his top a little from the calves ive seen but his calves shure as heck dont lack in bone or power! they also have a good disposition i always thought the pic they used to promote him was from behind but i found this one

Attachments

• Hired_Man_Sm.jpg
    Hired_Man_Sm.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 373

Latest posts