Opinions WANTED! Tell me what you think!

Help Support Steer Planet:

lucyluver

Please let me know what you think about this purebred angus heifer and what you would pay for her if you were to buy her (just wondering). Rate her 1-10 (ten being the best) --FROM A SHOW COW Point of view. Thanks  (clapping)

Attachments

• Libby.jpg
    Libby.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 220

kfacres

she looks pretty danged little-- like just weaned and green?  as comparision to the pipe gates behind her.

were you standing on a gate when you took the picture?  Besides the fact that this heifer's picture is taken at a funky angle- she looks to me like a pretty typical Angus mama cow.  Big bodied, average boned, good cowy rear leg set- and likely not quite thick enough to beat the heifers standing 1-2-3 (of course depending on the show).

you don't want to know what I would pay for her-- that's not a very good question to ask..  Although I guess it depends on if you're looking to sell, or looking to buy this heifer.  The other question that needs answered, are you looking for "real money", "promotion money", or "shorthorn heifer money"?

How would I rank her on a sliding scale for a show heifer-- alot lower than I would for a moma cow; which I think she'l excell at.  

To be honest, she reminds me of a heifer we had years and years ago, likely 8 or 9.  Our heifer started out rough as her momma was found dead, and by the time of a yearling she looked like this heifer, although our's might have had a little more center and upper body rib shape.  any ways, long story short, that cow had a bull calf that we're keeping and breeding with this year as a 12 month old.  FYI- I paid $100 for that two week old black heifer calf from the neighbor all those years ago.  She worked out great for us.

woltemathangus said:
video of her on the move might help.

what's that going to show? other than this heifer appears to hock in from behind, and might be funky in her shoulder- although it appears as if she's just standing funny on it...  The heifer's got plenty of set to her rear let, so she's not a leg swing'n straight legged show steer deal...  If she's straight through the shoulder, she'll want to drop her head on the move, and roach her top... but to me, I don't think she's straight upfront.  I think with her extension and slender neck, she'll be find up in that region...  Her topline is plenty loose for me, which means that when she's moving.. she'll be plenty level and straight down it... but even the bad ones are just slightly bad anyways-- most of the time.  In terms of her hip/ tail set..>I think that's plenty good, don't see any slope, maybe a touch high and narrow for ideal-- but then again we're looking at an Angus heifer- which lacks ass-- so I wouldn't expect her to be monster wide through the pins... course, if she was whale assed, I would expect her to be even narrower yet...

I guess I don't see how one can't pick this heifer apart standing still- in a bad angled photo...

Sure, I like to see an animal travel-- as it's the best indicator of structure- and sure brings the worst out of em.....  You know it's like this.. when somebody throws lemons at you, don't gripe that you want orange juice.

Now, if you said, you wanted to see a rear view-- I'd be in agree-ance

vc

Shep what is your deal, some times your post are informative, helpful and/or honest and other times (like this one) you come off as a complete arse. She looks average to me or something like that is sufficient.

As far as the heifer: one picture (a poor one at that) and very little information is not going to help anyone critique her.
Try a couple more shots from different angles and add some more information: age, BW, bloodlines, and anything else you might think of.

kfacres

vc said:
Shep what is your deal, some times your post are informative, helpful and/or honest and other times (like this one) you come off as a complete arse. She looks average to me or something like that is sufficient.

that's exactly what I did- I stated that she looks like a typical Angus- compared her to an old cow of ours which just produced our next herd bull... and then  discussed how I would predict this heifer to move, and look like on the move.  I also stated that she looked young and green to me...

I finished with saying that there is only one picture to evaluate her, and I wished there was a 2nd, atleast a rear view.

That's the bad thing about words-- you can't tell exactly what a person is thinking....

ETA a few words to better show what I'm thinking.

vc

I guess I just missed it in all those paragraphs.

AAOK

lucyluver said:
Please let me know what you think about this purebred angus heifer and what you would pay for her if you were to buy her (just wondering). Rate her 1-10 (ten being the best) --FROM A SHOW COW Point of view. Thanks  (clapping)

Looks like an average Angus, so I would rate her a 5 1/2.  I would never buy an Angus, so what I would pay is irrelevant.  She is not what I would classify as Show Quality.

vc

Must be the drought or something in the air today ???

Try a get some pictures where you are even a slightly below her, get them without the halter.

as far as price, commercial heifers are selling for 900 and up to the feeders so I would think 1500, if not keep her and breed her, reg. bred heifers are going to sell for 2500 or up next year. if the rains come

twistedhshowstock

I dont think there is enough information or picture to truly evaluate the heifer.  In this pic yes you can say she is average, but it is at a funky angle. I think there are a lot of things to consider here. 1) How old is this heifer, if she is just weaned and green still then that changes a lot.  If she is 9-10 months old then thats a different story as well.  2) Try getting on her level and taking a profile pic, then stand behind her taking one that shows her rear end and topline. 3) Yes a video would be helpful in evaluating this heifer, as it is with all cattle. (All these online sales dont post videos for their health or just to be nice, there is a reason) Even the prettiest, best conformationed looking one standing still can fall apart when it gets on the move.
If she is young then I think this heifer could have some potential in the show ring compared to what I have been seeing lately in both shows that I have judged and shows that I have gone to with clients.  I think she is adequately boned for an Angus heifer looking at this pic, looks like she has some center dimension and rib shape, looks to be sound from what we can see in the pic, and is decently stylish from what we see in the pic if you ask me.  No she is not the thickest thing in the world, but remember Angus arent really a powerhouse breed. 
Nevertheless, as I said earlier, there isnt enough info to go on here to truly evaluate her so I will hold off on rating her for now. Get us her birthdate and a few better pics and lets see how she adds up then.

kfacres

AAOK said:
lucyluver said:

Looks like an average Angus, so I would rate her a 5 1/2.  I would never buy an Angus, so what I would pay is irrelevant.  She is not what I would classify as Show Quality.

That's 90% exactly what I said, and got my ass chewed for it.. Had to go in and re edit it....  I think what I said was I'm a cheapskate, so what I would pay for her wouldn't matter. 

sue

lucyluver said:

Lucyluver - I would rate the picture a 4.0 . I think if you took three steps back and kneel down you would have a better picture of this heifer.
I like the heifer she looks like she is young and would make a nice mama cow. 7.5 for the heifer.
Thanks for posting.