Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

LinZ

Opinions please. Thinking about purchasing this heifer. Sep PB simmy..

Attachments

• domino1.gif
    domino1.gif
    192.7 KB · Views: 384

kane1598

Very nice! Apears to be very smooth and feminine with alot of style.  I'll take her!  Who is she sired by?

Bawndoh

She cuts up way too high in the heart and flank.  I know you hear this all the time, but it has a significant effect on the efficiency and results of the cattle/offspring.  What I can say is that she appears very flashy b/c of her color!!  She is also very shallow and narrow fronted because I notise that she stands very narrow from the front.  Her front feet amost touch.  It will be very diffucult to get any type of stoutness in her offspring.

DLD

Again, it's so very hard to really tell much from a picture- what looks right in a pic might be wrong in rl, or vice-versa. From what I can see she appears to be really smooth and nicely balanced. Her depth doesn't bother me so much, it seems to be adequate for this stage (for a pb Simmy) as you can tell she's really green. The way the white comes up in her flanks makes her look tighter in her flanks, but she looks to have decent rib shape (again that might be a deception of the color pattern). On the downside, she looks pretty refined in her bonework, and does seem to be flatter and narrower made... If she stands and walks with some width and tracks true from both ends, covers her tracks, and has some width down her top and out from her hooks to her pins, she may be ok, if not you might want to keep looking.

xkrushx

quote]She is also very shallow and narrow fronted because I notise that she stands very narrow from the front.  Her front feet amost touch.  It will be very diffucult to get any type of stoutness in her offspring. [/quote]

It may not be as hard to breed stoutness as it is to breed base width out of her offspring. They need to have some capacity in that heart region. I suppose a lot of these heifers flaws that everyone pointed out can be fixed to a point with a little bit of homework, like being cut up in the flank and heart and not having a lot of leg hair. I would get her if she is in that 2,000 range as long as she can get around on the move. Plus, being a pb simmy, going to a clubby bull will still get you a registerable simmy calf. She would be worth the risk and if you need any help with some tips to fix her flank or heart region, send me a message.

Jill

I don't see a big problem in the heart and flank,I think that is more the white.  I do however see a huge problem with base width, her front feet shouldn't ever touch unless she is standing WAY off kilter

red

might be the way her hooves are trimmed but I'm like Jill & her stance. Also question how she tracks?

Red

garybob

(thumbsup)Like I've said on this discussion board before, My Dad operated a grass-based Dairy Farm, common in NW AR and SW MO, up until the USDA's Whole-Herd Buy-out in 1985. A common practice was breeding your Holstein First-calf heifers to a low BW Polled Hereford Bull. Made your bottle-calves worth double, as they looked like Black Baldies. I am being very reminiscent, because the heifer calf in your post looks JUST LIKE my first brood cow did, and, since I raised her on the bottle,Even as an old cow, I could call her by name in the pasture, and, She'd follow the sound of my voice, wanting some individual attention.

Relax. You've probably found a good brood-cow candidate.

GB

kanshow

What's on the cow side of the pedigree?  I'd like to see another picture of her because I find it hard to believe that her front would be like that coming from that bull.  Everything I've seen from him has been wide enough based and relatively thick.    The one nit-picky thing I'd change about her is the pink eye rim.  Can you hear my Hereford background screaming out loud. 

Assuming her front is off due to the picture, I like her otherwise.  She looks like I'd expect a calf that age to look.  I'd say if she is priced right - take her home.  She is bred to be a cow.