Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

Sorry about the pics my mom took them  ::)  (lol)  But this steer is just down the road from me and Im kinda looking at buying him but would like some opinions

Attachments

• BALLIE2.jpg
    BALLIE2.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 640
  • Ballie3.jpg
    Ballie3.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 594
  • Ballie4.jpg
    Ballie4.jpg
    65.6 KB · Views: 800

justme

Really check out his legs...it maybe the photos but really watch him walk.  What counts is that you like him...that's who's opinion really counts <party>

showsteerdlux

I agree on his legs. He looks really fine boned to me and also looks to splay out on his back wheels. He looks to be pretty flat sided and not a lot on rib shape but again it could be the picture. What is the breeding on him?

renegade

Hes out of a meyer 734 bred bull. I was kind of afraid he would be a little flat in the rib but his plus - hard to see in the pics is he has quite a bit of muscle in the butt

Ruebush Shorthorns

My major issue would be his lack of bone.  His legs just don't look like they belong to that body.  I like his markings and mass but he looks pretty fine boned.  Being fine boned is not like having little hair.  You can work on growing hair, but bone can not be changed by hard work and washing.
If he is in your price range and close by like you say, sit down and figure out if he will make you some money in the end.  Sometimes we show some for our fat steer show and sale that are not the best calves in the barn but they sure do make us a lot of money.  There is a time and a place for a really good calf.  You have to ask yourself if you need a wnner or a money maker.  I prefer money over ribbons when it comes to steers.  Heifers are a different story, because if all goes well you can have a heck of a cow in the end and a steer just gets eaten by someone else usually.  Just my opinion and from my neck of the woods too.  Our fat steers bring about $1.30 a pound unless you are champion then you usually see upwards of $2.00.  So it really dosn't justify buying a $3,000 steer in our situation.
Good luck on your decision.

renegade

Thank you, this is why I always get a couple of opinions and I shop around and compare because a lot of times on first site I see just you now like the flash and positive qualities :D.  Like as we go along I do see what everyone is saying and most of it is reconfirming some of what I though but didnt take a good enough look at . 

Latest posts