optiflex

Help Support Steer Planet:

sjcattleco

Do I feed it or not?? what is everyones opinion? not sure whether to feed it to ours.. he is pretty extreme now... Will it make him better or just freaky? I know you can mess up a hog with paylean... what do you guys think of it.. I have never used it...

Thanks
Scott

red

Scott- you want to make sure he already has extra fat because it will make him more muscular/ harder to the touch. also have heard about potential disposition changes/problems after feeding it for a while.
Don't believe there is any withdrawl.

Red

red

Optaflexx® — for performance all the way to closeout and beyond.
Optaflexx is a new feed ingredient fed to cattle during the final stage* of the finishing period to:
Increase live weight gain
Increase red meat yield
Improve feed efficiency
Optaflexx delivers higher performance all the way to closeout and added benefits throughout the food chain.
Maintains beef’s natural taste, tenderness and juiciness
Minimal impact on marbling score or quality grade
Meets US Food and Drug Administration’s (FDA) stringent standards for animal, environmental and food safety
Delivered in the feed; no withdrawal period before marketing
Optaflexx is a Finishing Improvement Technology™
For producers --- Optaflexx improves production efficiencies and red meat yield
For the meat industry --- Optaflexx increases the yield of closely trimmed, boneless , retail cuts while maintaining eating quality
For consumers --- Optaflexx meets FDA’s stringent safety standards while maintaining beef’s natural taste, tenderness and juiciness
Optaflexx is available in 25-lb bags via traditional distribution outlets for animal health feed ingredients. It is cleared for use in feedlot rations in combination with Rumensin®, Tylan®, and MGA®.

DL

I think we need to be very aware of consumers perceptions and what they want - I am not sure adding more drugs (it is a beta adrenergic agonist) is what they want. Aren't we better off picking cattle that will do what they need to do without adding drugs for this and drugs for that?? But it does make a tidy profit for the company...JMO  ;D

DLD

Scott, since you say he's pretty extreme now, I wouldn't. As Red said, they need to be plenty fat - it will harden them up, both to the touch and in appearance. Also, if they're anything less than very sound, it could cause them to crash (soundness wise) as it can really tighten them up in their movement.

David

sjcattleco

That is kind of what I was thinking as well... I also agree with DL I am not crazy about rumensin... I just don't want to get beat by a $25 dollar feed additive.... I will forego feeding it... Thanks alot.... I feel alot better now...

red

yes, if I understand the product it is to firm up a flabby/fatter animal.Or to add the needed muscle. If your steer is on the right track, I'd just keep him where's he's at.I'm like DL, I tend to get nervous on adding too much to the ration. You can completely throw a good calf totally off.
Do you have a recent picture of him? Also is this for your county fair?

Red

OH Breeder

Scott,
I have seen complete mess with Optiflex fed at the wrong time. I am not a fan of it. There is a local person who feds it and you can tell as soon as they start. The calves slowly get straigher and straighter. As good as he moves and look in person, you really don't need it. I think he is fine.