Other people's

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

I have a guy wanting me to show a steer for him this fall through summer.  How do you guys go about this?? Do they pay for everything and get everything?? or do they pay for feed and you get all the buckles

fluffer

It depends.  We usually do it based on who pays the entry fees.  If he has the calf, pays to feed the calf etc and pays the entry fees I would say he gets to keep the stuff.  If you have the calf, feed the calf etc and pay the entry then you get to keep the stuff.  If you split costs then you split the proft.  That is just how we did it.  I have been on both sides of this.  There is no black and white unless you discuss it first.

Good Luck
Fluffer

Simmymom1

:)  This whole past year we showed a heifer for someone and we paid for everything except for the vet bills.  My daughter got to keep everything that she won.  The reason we did this is because we knew she was a good heifer and we wanted to make sure that my daughter was serious about showing before we went out and paid for a "high price" heifer, which is what we are fixing to do now.  She is going to show the heifer for the last time at our county fair in a couple of weeks, then she goes back to the original owners.  My daughter has gotten very attached to her and it is going to very hard to give her back!!  Good Luck 

red

we've done it several ways. One year we paid for everything. The next year he paid for the feed bills. One year I was stuck w/ a show heifer we had bought for our daughter. I had the young man that sold it to use show her. I gave him her first calf.
Like they said, make sure you have everything clear cut before hand so they'll be no surprises or hurt feelings later.

Red

sawboss

We have done it a couple of ways, pay for everything in exchange for first calf.  This year breeder pays for all we keep rewards, if some one offers to purchase her above his base price we sell and keep the difference.  This must cleared up first meeting and clarify expectations.

GONEWEST

If we have an calf  that we want to keep, and assuming we have sold no other calves that would be in direct competition with it, i.e. the same breed, etc., we pay feed and vet they pay everything else, they keep everything they win. But we are not going to show a calf that would compete with what someone actually paid us for.

Show Heifer

My advice: Just get everything in writing that is agreed upon. Make sure it is "black and white".
I would suggest trophies, buckles stay with heifer. Prize money stays with exhibitor. All expenses paid for by the owner of heifer (unless your showing your personal cattle also - then split expenses)
Agree on what makes both parties happy, then WRITE IT DOWN.

CPL

I have seen some of the bigger breeders have a display of their winnings (banners, trophies, etc.) and I would have to stay if I bred the Grand Champion Hereford Female for the Illinois State Fair- no matter who showed her- I'm keeping the pink banner and anything else that would go good on display. But if its just a county fair or a smaller type show I don't think I'd keep the show-er from the prize.