Other Show animals

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

These question(s)I know belongs somewhere else, but I thought I would still ask for those that show other animals along with their show calves. 

1.  Show calves are fed 2-3% of their body weight?  What is it for show lambs or show pigs? 
2.  Do you figure show feed % the same as show calves?  More protein to grow, less to finish?  I was curious because on some sheep show feeds the feeds (the choices you have )go from usually 18% to 15% - seems like it should be more to finish?  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks for any and all input/information.

showsteerdlux

The only other animals we show are hogs. We feed them free choice feed that is 21% protein, 5% fat, and contains about 1.2% lysine. They have access to water all the time and I would guessthat they eat in the 4% body weight range.

KDSC

I cant help you with the sheep, but know someone who can if you would like??? With show pigs I like to feed Sunglo 101, from the time i get them until we show them, it is 20% protein, 5.5% fat, and 1.2% lysine. works great, if you need to lossen a pig up a bit, or would like a pig to be a bit softer (whch is what judges are looking for now days) I like to feed Sunglo 201, which is 16% protein, .9% lysine, and 5.5% fat, and if you have a pig that is between 101 and 201, i feed Sunglo 501, which is 18% protein, 1.1% lysine, and 5.5% fat. So pig that needs more cover feed a lower protein feed, pig that dont need a lot except to grow, I would feed a 20% protein feed.  any other questions??

Show Heifer

I have not only shown, but raised lambs for 30 plus years....what are your exact questions? PM me and we'll chat!
It would be boring for some of these cattle folks!

knabe

hah!

and just for red

http://www.caredsheep.com/

The meat from California Reds is unequaled in tenderness and taste.

i guess every breed says that.