ouch

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

this goes out to you younger guys, dont lead a semi flighty calf  over gravel on a short halter, especially them full flush ones.
He got out ahead of me and i did one of them head first baseball slides throught the gravel, the BIG gravel peices. luckily he went straight to the barn door and then ran away again, but i caught him.

Even though im pretty sure my hand is fractured and my knee cap is bruised to the bone, ill be alright. Oh yea, its not worth holding on to it if you cant because if you go down, all kinds of bad things can happen, get your hand steeped on, kicked in the head, etc etc. One time my dad got kicked in the head by a horse, he must have a thick noggin, all i heard was &$Y&#* and @$#@% about that horse when his eyes were swelled shut, but anyways, im fine. :( :-\ :) ;) :D ;D

Telos

There was a very good reason they named Full Flush's sire, Full Throttle. From my experience those flighty ones are a lot better then the kickers.

Glad you are OK. My advice when he seems to be getting flighty is to always try to turn his head and neck toward you and make them turn around, with you in the center and the lead rope acting like a spoke. This usually helps to manage and preventing them from darting strait forward and getting away. That  is about the best way to teach them that they can't get away from you.

farmboy

actually this ones dam is a full flush, hes not bad about it when he goes out but when i untie him...ITS ON! when he go away he went and stood next to the barn door, wanting in...weird

farmboy

it is cooler in there, but not much, i dont have any fans in the barn but is drafty and shady and yea, i feed him in there with a heifer and another steer but hes done this several times when ive rinsed him, it looks like a ballerina going back to the barn...it takes about 10 spins around to get there  :D

SWMO

I can tell you what is problem is.  My son had a Full Flush son this year.  (never so glad to get one's head cut off.)  He was just fine as long as he was with his buddy but the minute he couldn't see the other steer he would do a Jekell and Hyde.  Never had a minutes trouble with him until he wasn't with the other steer.  He really wooled my son over in the show ring at the county fair.  And on top of that he turned out the be a real POS structurally.  Will never have another with that bloodline.  Also the older he got the worse his shoulders got.  When he matured, his shoulders were huge and his front hooves really toed out.

showcattlegal

I know a lot of full throttle calves are mean, But my gentlest cow in my heard is a full flush. I have noticed that donkeys really seem to help the flushes I have been around that are kinda wild.

vc

Son had a Friction steer this year that acted the same way, when ever he was away from hid buddy he was just stupid, with his buddy he was fine. There was a couple of jackpots where he and his buddy were in the same class, he would get away just to go stand next to his buddy. The problem really escalated when his buddy was sold at the first fair and he went to another fair, a month later, he just never adjusted.

showcattlegal

Maybe lead him around for a while before you take him to the barn, he's acting just like a barn sour horse make him go around your place a couple of times or around the barn with out going into it.

Latest posts