Our best calf crop yet

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

We are in the slow process of building from within and haven't bought any animals since 2003.  These are some of this years calf crop
They are all March calves. 

#1 is a 1/4 blood out of our herd bull, Meyer 734/OCC Anchor.
#2 is out of the same bull
#3 is a Goldmine

Let me know what you think

Attachments

• 2008 calves 001.JPG
    2008 calves 001.JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 547
  • 2008 calves 011.JPG
    2008 calves 011.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 535
  • 2008 calves 017.JPG
    2008 calves 017.JPG
    162.1 KB · Views: 396

bcosu

they look to have a lot of maternal characteristics. that's a good foundation to start building on. nice calves.

TJ

I like their type & they certainly have a good maternal foundation.  You can go a lot of directions with animals like that. 

inthebarnagain

The picture of the Goldmine heifer is really rotten!  I am going to take more in the next month after we wean them and clip them.  She is probably our favorite of all the heifers this year.  This is our first group that has halfbloods in it, the rest were only quarters.  We may be taking her to the North American along with our daughters show heifers from this year. 

Hey TJ, the second one that is out of our herd bull has a mother that could fit right in with your lowlines.  Her back comes to my waist, I am 5'7".  She is as wide as she is tall and is a granddaughter of OCC Emblazon.  We are thinking about using some Doc Holliday to get some more grass based and maternal genetics in our herd. 

Here she is with her heifer, the 2nd one pictured above

Attachments

• 2008 calves 020.JPG
    2008 calves 020.JPG
    23.1 KB · Views: 362

clubcalve

That third one realy has some style and looks like a heifer that will make a good cow (clapping).Al look like great replacements.

TJ

inthebarnagain said:
The picture of the Goldmine heifer is really rotten!  I am going to take more in the next month after we wean them and clip them.  She is probably our favorite of all the heifers this year.  This is our first group that has halfbloods in it, the rest were only quarters.  We may be taking her to the North American along with our daughters show heifers from this year. 

Hey TJ, the second one that is out of our herd bull has a mother that could fit right in with your lowlines.  Her back comes to my waist, I am 5'7".  She is as wide as she is tall and is a granddaughter of OCC Emblazon.  We are thinking about using some Doc Holliday to get some more grass based and maternal genetics in our herd. 

Here she is with her heifer, the 2nd one pictured above

#3 is my favorite too. 

Interesting about the 2nd heifers mother.  Some OCC genetics probably aren't a lot different than Lowlines... OCC are "old school" Angus genetics & Lowlines are even "older school" Angus genetics. 

RE Doc Holliday... I obviously think that is a good idea, but you can see several of his offspring from different herds at the NAILE in Louisville and see for yourself if that may be something that you want to pursue.  You could register the offspring as 1/2 Lowline & either show or sell them or both, as Lowlines.  Lowline X Angus X Simmy is a good cross for a lot of purposes, IMHO.