Our First State Fair

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmmom73

I grew up showing pigs at our county fair, but never had the opportunity to show at our Indiana State Fair.  This year, I am taking my son to show his heifer at the State Fair, and I am a nervous wreck.  My husband will be at home on the farm, so it's just me and my 11 year old.  Any suggestions or helpful hints are greatly appreciated! 

aj

Cool.....I don't have any advise though......they don't let me go to shows very often. It will be a great experience no matter what!

roper

First of all,  I would like to say Congratulations to you and your son for having the opportunity to go to the State Fair.  I have many fond memories of taking my family to the State Fair on our yearly vacation.  If you ever have a question, don't be afraid to go to the cattle barn office and ask someone there.  If there is anything I can help you with,  just call.  Once again, thank you for being there for your son.  He will remember this for the rest of his life.  Also best of luck to you and him in the heifer show.  Our family never won any purple banners, but we ended up with two great kids.  You have my number if you need anything just call.  See ya soon.   

flyintale

You have given your adorable son so many wonderful opportunities that I would've killed for when I was younger!  I love watching him show, and I am looking forward to watching Sunday!  See you there!

RidinHeifer

Stay relaxed!  In all actuality, its just another show!  Just make sure you know where they are on the schedule, and give yourseof plenty of time for your class.  Go out and do what you've done all year.  Even if you drag bottom, that doesn't mean you have a bad heifer, there will be a bunch of super calves. 

herfluvr

Have been in your shoes!  My husband doesn't usually come til show day so have spent many days there by myself with son and few friends.  One thing I do is park our trailer across the street and have a good wagon for all our stuff. Wagon good for tie out duties as well.  Yes it is more expensive but I can always park under my trailer and it is so much more convenient AND the parking people get to know you a bit and when I go back to the trailer I tell them.  Give them a cold water and they are friends for life!  I would assume you know about the fitting restrictions for help.  Parents, siblings or 4H members only are to fit.  On Friday there is usally a line of chairs sitters that are waiting in line for check in.  Listen to the loud speaker and as for breed checking in and weigh in.  You will spend most of Friday in the barn ...waiting...waiting for you division to be called.  If it is large we wait til it has started and make our way up there.  Good Luck!! have fun!!

RidinHeifer

Also...maybe the most important if you want to have fun....STAY COOL!  Everyone-you, son, and heifer!