Our heifer what do you think

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

This is my sons March 2012 heifer. We are pretty happy with how she is coming along. What do you guys think of her? She is out of a Durango son and is 2 months bred to Crackerjack.

Attachments

• preview show.jpg
    preview show.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 253

shortyjock89

She doesn't look too bad. What preview show was that at? We showed in Pipestone MN this weekend. Do you think the resulting calf from crackerjack will be good enough behind the shoulders and clean enough chested? 

How is she coming along in her flank? This is my first year really feeding a lot of big Hereford heifers and it's a fine line to get one big enough bodied without getting too chesty.

paj315

This was at the Indiana preview show . Well we will find out about crackerjack in January , we have bred a lot to him and from people we have talked to he should work for us. You're right about feeding them though. Her flank is looking really good and she is soggy . Her biggest flaw is her front end as a show heifer but we feel like she is going to make a terrific cow . Right now we are feeding mostly beet pulp and a holding ration to keep her looking full without putting on too much belly. In the heifer world beet pulp is your beat friend .

shortyjock89

I know that beet pulp can work for a short time, but all the Shorthorn and Angus heifers I've ever fed it for long can get stale.

RyanChandler

Her front third is the best part of her.  Base width and overall capacity would be my concerns.  This heifer needs as much belly as anything.  Perhaps she looks way different than the picture suggests. Idk.

paj315

XBAR I tend to agree with you from time to time. One day I look at her and think she has plenty of belly the next I think she needs more. Maybe its just me, I don't know . At the show this picture was taken she was the deepest heifer in her class . What would you suggest to add more depth ? We are about 30 days out from our county and state fair and I have been holding her the last month just trying to coast into this last month afraid she was getting too big . But, I hesitate to push her too hard too quick. The way she eats and converts feed I know I can add another 100 lbs in just a couple weeks. Just not sure what to do. I'm adding Depth Charge to her feed but not sure if thats gonna get the job done.Her ration now is about 16 lbs per day half of that is a holding/ heifer finishing ration, half wet beet pulp with 3 lbs Depth Charge, a splash of Glucoat, a splash of peanut oil, appetite express and some loose mineral added to that. Any advise would be great.

Telos

That is a very nice Hereford, IMO. She is plenty deep when you take some of her length away. It is mostly an illusion in response to her over all length. You always want more width and muscle dimension when it comes to that breed. Hope she makes a nice cow for you.

paj315

Thanks Telos. I have to agree she is really long. All of the calves out of her sire are made that way. The guy we got her from swears he adds an extra ribs length to his calves.

knabe

paj315 said:
Thanks Telos. I have to agree she is really long. All of the calves out of her sire are made that way. The guy we got her from swears he adds an extra ribs length to his calves.

count them.

shortyjock89

-XBAR- said:
I'd feed her all the finisher she can handle. She doesn't appear to have any fat deposits on her tail head.

You'd have her chest blown out so fast it would make your head spin.