Our new heifer what do you think?

Help Support Steer Planet:

paj315

Ok here she is . We just bought this April heifer last Saturday . She's out of a Durango son and a Wrangler D19 cow . This is just a pasture pic of her she is currently being brought in in the morning and given feed both morning and night then turned out with momma of an evening. What do you guys think of her,

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 286

FriedgesCharolais

She doesn't look too bad but personally I'm not a big fan of navels especially I would probably get rid of that if I had her in my pasture but otherwise she looks pretty good

simba

Maybe a dumb question, and I don't mean to hijack your thread, but what do you mean by getting rid of her navel? Can you get them removed?

FriedgesCharolais

Its not a dumb question and I learned a few years ago there is an easy way to remove them. Its just like castrating a bull calf with an elastrator you just put that rubberband around the navel and it will eventually fall off. I know Cates Farm does it to any calf that they think will enter a show ring.

simba

HiddenCreekCattle said:
Its not a dumb question and I learned a few years ago there is an easy way to remove them. Its just like castrating a bull calf with an elastrator you just put that rubberband around the navel and it will eventually fall off. I know Cates Farm does it to any calf that they think will enter a show ring.

That's really interesting, thanks for the info!

AAOK

HiddenCreekCattle said:

It is not always as easy as you may think.  Often, the dropped navel is due to a hernia, and must be addressed surgically using a mesh material to keep it from happening again.  So, be careful, and let your Vet have a look.

paj315

I wasn't planning doing it myself going to have the vet out to look at it and fix it . Pretty sure it's just extra skin. The guy we are getting her from is a really respectable breeder and also a life long friend and he takes very good care of his cattle so if it were more than just extra skin he would have know . Really have high hopes for her this will be my sons 3rd year showing and every year we have stepped up in quality . Last year we had champion Hereford heifer at our county fair in both the open and 4-H show and he was champion JR. Showman in both shows. Finished 3 out of 7 in our class at state fair . She is bred to calve the end of January to Crackerjack and we plan to show the pair in the cow calf division next year . It will be my daughters first year to show so we are going to let her show the calf since it will be smaller and we plan to start working with it as soon as it hits the ground so they will both be used to each other.