Our Online Barn Camera for Calving

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

A few of you might remember it from last year, but we use a security camera to help watch our heifers that we calve out.  We've finally got the online access back up and running again.  For any of you interested in checking it out, you can access it from:

http://za.dwddns.com/GRAVES09

The first time you go to it, the website will install a couple of extensions to allow you to view it and move the camera. You'll come to a screen that says DWMax Remote Center.

Hit the "Live" button, then hit "connect" on the next page and you should get the live feed. You can move the camera around with the arrows and zoom button.  Depending on your internet speed, it can be a little choppy with movement.

We have cattle in several different pens visible with the camera. 

Cattledog

Just checked your cattle for ya.  Everything looks great! (lol)  That's pretty cool.  If you don't mind me asking what does a system like that run?  I'v been looking to get something like that for our calving barn.  My wife thinks that if we had a video camera with online access she could get me off the place and actually see some of our friends during calving season.

chambero

We put it in last year.  It was around $5K, but infrared camera was a lot of the cost.  If you had adequate lighting, I think it would be a lot cheaper.  Plus we had to run about 1000' of cable underground to hard wire it into my house.  In my house, I have a DVR and video screen set up next to my computer.  The video in my house is super high quality.  The DVR plugs into my our router and then feeds into the website.  We don't have to actually use the internet for access in my house.

chambero

Had two unassisted early this morning.  There are some Golden Child and Bold Statement heifers in this group.  Most are out of our herd bulls - quite a few Shamrock grandaughters.

Most of them are bred to an Anchor son we bought half interest in from Griswold.  He's doing his job.  We've had twelve calves so far out of him and only had to assist with one - and that was because we were in a hurry.

RSC

chambero said:
Had two unassisted early this morning.  There are some Golden Child and Bold Statement heifers in this group.  Most are out of our herd bulls - quite a few Shamrock grandaughters.

Most of them are bred to an Anchor son we bought half interest in from Griswold.  He's doing his job.  We've had twelve calves so far out of him and only had to assist with one - and that was because we were in a hurry.
Do you have to use a laptop when away from home or can you view that link from a Blackberry?  Cool, Thanks for sharing!

Tony

chambero

I cant get it to work on my phone (a Blackjack II from Samsung - windows mobile).  I've been using my laptop.  I need to get someone to try it on an iPhone or a Blackberry brand.

chambero

You probably have some type of firewall blocking access or the installation of the extensions that need to be installed.  I just checked and the video feed is pulling up, but I forgot to turn off the controls on the DVR this morning so you can't actually move the camera today.

I didn't think it would work with mobile phones, but wasn't sure.