Our show heifers-OPINIONS PLEASE!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

inthebarnagain

The first heifer is our Dreamcatcher.  She was not cooperating at all and is much better looking in person than in the picture.  The second one is our Goldmine.  We will be taking them both to the NAILE for the junior show.  By the way, my avatar is the Goldmine when she was a baby.  That one and my daughter are going to be my undoing.  She lines her up with the halter and has her so well trained that she usually only has to move one foot and then the heifer freezes.  She never touches her with the stick other than to scratch her. 

Caitlin wouldn't smile because then you MIGHT SEE HER BRACES!!!!!  She has orange and black bands on this time around for halloween. 

OPINIONS please!!

Attachments

• PICT0001.JPG
    PICT0001.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 440
  • PICT0003.JPG
    PICT0003.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 444
  • PICT0004.JPG
    PICT0004.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 436
  • PICT0007.JPG
    PICT0007.JPG
    32.7 KB · Views: 434

knabe

reverse the logic when you breed them if you want a female.  i like the second one, but i tend to like thicker females for some stupid reason that will probably bite me later.

inthebarnagain

The dreamcatcher is Feb 22, the goldmine is March 5.  Not too much difference but to see the two together they are like night and day.  The Goldmine is out of our tallest, rangiest cow we have, she has always had great big tall calves.  We worried for a while if this heifer was going to get tall enough.  Guess that is a trait that got thrown in from Goldmine!  You can see the size difference looking at Caitlin holding the two of them. 

Knabe, what did you mean "reverse the logic when breeding for females"?  Because speaking of breeding I am already trying to decide who to breed them too.  We really would like to stick with the simmental but since they are halfbloods and heifers, angus are also in the mix!

We took them to a show a couple of weeks ago.  The dreamcatcher weighed  584 and the goldmine was 570. 

inthebarnagain

simtal said:
that might be the only success story I've ever heard  using dream catcher

I agree.  We also had 2 bull calves that were out of dreamcatcher and they went to the yards, really plain looking.  Of course when she was younger she was plain too.  It took a haircut and some time before I appreciated her. 

GLZ

The more I look at the Goldmine heifer the more I like her.  What is her dam out of?  She reminds me of a couple of Prowler heifers/cows we had.  Just a low rider that is deep and soggy.  (my favorite type)

I am not a huge fan of Dream Catcher.  If I am going to use a Dream On son, there are a lot of others I like more than Dream Catcher.  However I like that heifer.  What is her mother's breeding?

Anyone come up with the Dream On outcross yet?  Just checking.   ;D

inthebarnagain

StillLearning said:
The more I look at the Goldmine heifer the more I like her.  What is her dam out of?  She reminds me of a couple of Prowler heifers/cows we had.  Just a low rider that is deep and soggy.  (my favorite type)

I am not a huge fan of Dream Catcher.  If I am going to use a Dream On son, there are a lot of others I like more than Dream Catcher.  However I like that heifer.  What is her mother's breeding?

Anyone come up with the Dream On outcross yet?  Just checking.   ;D

You are going to love this.  We got 24 cows and heifers 4 years ago when a 500 head herd was sold because they lost their land lease.  A friend of ours bought the herd, sold off the very best ones to pay the note and then let my husband go in and pick 16 3 year old cows and 8 heifers.  We know the sires of about 10 of them because we recognized the numbers on their ear tags, that is all we definitely know about them.  We do know that they used a lot of Ohlde genetics and bought bulls from Cane Ridge, Meyer/OCC and that is about as far as it gets. 

The only thing we know about the Goldmines momma is that she is an Angus cross. 

The dreamcatchers momma didn't come from that group.  She is a 3/4 Angus, 1/4 Simmental out of WK Appeal and a Meyer/Angus cow.  She is small framed and PLAIN.  When you see the heifers in person they are as different as night and day, most people do like the dreamcatcher better though.  She is fancy, she just doesn't show it in the picture.  She will be styling at the North American though, both of the heifers love for people to see them.  They are spoiled rotten, that is what comes from my daughter and I being the main ones who work them all the time!