Our UGLY calve, is there hope for him?

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

DL, I think your earth to SKF was totally uncalled for.  He did not say don't show him because fo this hair or that his hair isn't good enough so turn him out.  He just stated that it would be interesting learnin how to clip his funky hair.  By the way its not really different than clipping other hair if you work it right.  The white will always be softer than the any other color on painted calves.  The real reason for out kids showing calves is to teach them responsibilty and to develop values and a work ethic.  For them to learn how to win and lose gracefully, have good sportsmanship  and hopefully earn enough money off their projects to pay for college and that new car they all want at age 16.  Showing is also for them to learn that hard work  pays off and you can have fun while learning.  The hair is a big part of showing, good hair helps even the playing field between the good and not so good calves.  Kids are masters at having fun at whatever they are doing,  whether it be working with a gentle little calf, playing with a brand new puppy, sitting on their duffs doing nothing but watching tv or playing video games

SKF

I am not stressing over hair. We have several calves and out of the bunch he is the odd one. Yes his hair is different but I would NEVER choose a calf because of hair. I have and always will choose a calf based on disposition. On top of his hair he has other problems like he is very small all the other calves are considerable larger, he is very laid back to the point he has to be kept away from the other calves so that he will eat and yes the hair is a problem because the grey hair so short on top that he has bald spots and then he gets sun burned which can be a real problem when you live in south Florida. The only reason we are keeping him is becasue he has such a sweet personality and he will be great for a beginner who needs a puppy dog. My daughter loves him becasue of his personality but I think she will be keeping one of the bigger calves because she is competitive but who knows she may keep him but if not she has several friends who are beginners and one of them will probably get this calf. So when I said that it would be interesting in learning to clip him was because of all his different textures and lengthes it will be alot different than a normal calf. My son wants to leave the white hair on his face long and style as a mowhawk. ;D Plus this is the first calf in over 30years that we have ever had that had hair like his so I was not sure if it would change as he gets older.

Looks like we crossed in cyber space - I like the mohawk idea - way cool! Keep posting pictures as the little bugger grows - now on a totally different kind of note - when your vet is out have him check him out, especially listen to his heart - sometimes these really kind little guys have a heart condition (heard as a heart murmur) that makes them not quite as thrifty or big as their pen mates...DL

DL

afhm - the original question was "This is our ugly little calf named, Oddball. His hair is 2 different textures as you can see in the pictures. The white hair is long and soft and his grey hair is curly and course. His tail always looks like it has been clipped. And to top things off he is kind of runty, but he is the sweetest calf and of course all the kids love him. Do you think there is hope for him in his future to be a show steer, of course I know he will never be a competitive show steer but do you think he will out grow this ugly look?"

My point was that sometimes we forget what is important - there was a titch of a joke in there (ie braid and dreadlocks) so I hoped SKF would catch that and not be offended - if you are offended SKF it was not intended and I apologize

but I think sometimes adults take this way too seriously and want to win way too much and that I think is not the point (and I am not saying that winning isn't fun and I am not saying that kids need to work hard with their projects) - but all you have to do is look at a kid whose first calf was a snotty unfun miserable wretch but very competitive in the ring ( picked out by the father) and nowthe kid hates showing and hates cattle and doesn't want to do it ever again to realize that sometime adults priorities are out of wack.

I still think this calf is way adorable and he might surprise you!

afhm

Without seeing him in person its hard to say.  But since he is on a 1st calf heifer, I would say with a little extra TLC for him and mom,  he could grow out of it, I've had some that did.  If nothing else the feed man will like you.  I don't know if he'll make a show steer, but there is a chance he could make with the aforementioned TLC.

genes

afhm said:
Genes that doesn't look like a classical case of rat tail to me, is there more than one type?

Ah but this one has tricked you.  See I bet when you look for a "rat tail" you naturally look at the tail.  But remembering that white hair is unaffected, and seeing that his switch is white, you just say...aww tricky.  The look of the hair and the description of the very thin back hair is a dead giveaway.    With our bad ones any problems we had were with the cold - never noticed a sunburn.  But I suppose that is the difference between Florida and Saskatchewan.