Out of the mouths of babes..

Help Support Steer Planet:

rmbcows

A friend of mine sent me this and I thought you all might find it as inspirational and comforting as I did.  Thanks Jason for helping me out with the link!

You have got to hear this little boy. Sometimes children seem to have more
wisdom than we adults do.

Logan is 12 years old and listens to KSBJ on Sky Angel because he lives on
a ranch in a very small town in Nebraska .  He called us distraught because
he had to put down a calf.  His words have wisdom beyond his years.  After
many emails and phone calls we decided to put the audio online for you.

http://www.steerplanet.com/logan.mp3

knabe

it's amazing with schools these days that a kid that age can get up the courage to say that.  probably get detention at school for hate speech.  i'm in CA, so it's extremely rare to hear a kid talk like that.  good job.

Doc

rmbcows said:
A friend of mine sent me this and I thought you all might find it as inspirational and comforting as I did.  Thanks Jason for helping me out with the link!

You have got to hear this little boy. Sometimes children seem to have more
wisdom than we adults do.

Logan is 12 years old and listens to KSBJ on Sky Angel because he lives on
a ranch in a very small town in Nebraska .  He called us distraught because
he had to put down a calf.  His words have wisdom beyond his years.  After
many emails and phone calls we decided to put the audio online for you.

http://www.steerplanet.com/logan.mp3
Thanks for passing that along!!!! (clapping) (clapping)

shortyisqueen

Despite the amazing lesson learned, doesn't it alarm anyone that someone sent his 12 year old son out with a gun to dispatch a calf? Sure the lad was responsible but it seems sort of alarming to me...When you're twelve, that's what dads are for....

rmbcows

I guess I was under the impression that it was his choice and he had decided to do it himself.  After listening to again, it doesn't really say why he was the one that put the calf down, but again I felt like he wanted to be the one to do it.  Guess being around guns all my life and having an 8 year old nephew that deer hunts, it didn't suprise me that he could handle it.  I'd bet Dad was close by, just in case he was needed. 

Joe Boy

Thanks for sharing this with us.

It does not bother me that a 12 year old can handle a gun.  Especially, a ranch boy.  He can also, handle his heart!  My boys could at that age but were never left with a gun by themselves.  I never asked them to do this sort of thing but did it by myself. 

Most states have regulations about boys having to go to a gun safety class before they can be issued a hunting liscense.  I am only going to guess, but I think his Dad was with him and was teaching him with caring hands and tears in his eyes.  My Dad did that.  I have never enjoyed laying an animal down, and I am going to guess that what the boy said was what his teacher (his dad) taught him.  Life has so many tragic events for farm and ranch children that many times will teach them values for all of their life.  Again, my guess is that this boy is as mature as any 16 year old boy in the city, due to learning responsibilities and dealing with problems of life and death.

THANKS!

Jill

I am a firm believer that everything in life happens for a reason.  I have to believe that God uses children to touch the hearts of adults where nothing else could.  Thanks for sharing, what a remarkable child.

chambero

When I was a kid the only healthcare for pets (dogs and cats) was rabies shots at the VFD once a year.  My dad died when I was ten, so I put down a handful of dogs and cats when they'd get injured or sick (almost always with tears in my eyes) from around that age on through school.

My boys fortunately don't have to do that.  However, I don't let them hide from death.  Last Thursday night my son's steer for the Texas majors bloated and died.  Momma found him while I was out of town on business.  She had to go home and get them to help her get him drug out of the show barn with an ATV.  There were some unhappy phone calls on the cell phone while I was trying to get myself back home, but that helps you learn to appreciate your time with your animals (not to mention family).

ELBEE

I am unable to down load this message, but.

Every 12 year old boy that is faced with this life's lesson is one man that will never take another life senselessly.

"Been there, done that"