Outragous hair

Help Support Steer Planet:

Angusboy

we all have seen those pictures of those great looking calves with the amazing hair,right? well I'm wondering how you get that great looking hair, if you have any ideas or tips let me know. thanks <cowboy>

zak

In the winter, work and genetics will give you that hair. And in the summer work, cooler, and genetics will give you that hair. I think a lot of people over look the genetics aspect of it.

Zak

twistedhshowstock

Genetics definately make it a lot easier to put the hair on them, but I am one that disagrees to an extent that you necessarily cant get the hair without genetics.  I think if you dont have genetics then you just have to work harder.  But I also am one who believes that quality of hair is FAR more important that quantity of hair and for quality nothing replaces elbow grease.
If you will search for daily hair care there are a ton of posts on here about it, and I feel like we have answered this question a lot in the last few days.  If you have any further more specific questions just post and we will try and get them answered.

smo

i have always wondered the same thing and always work my ass off and never get that perfect omg hair but the steer i picked up for next year i just got a week ago and it has at least 3 in of hair it is redic and he hasnt been in a cooler or under fans i feels its genetics for the quantity and how hard u work for the quality

zak

There are a lot of th free bulls out there that have that desired hair. There are probably a lot of steers also they just don't get tested. The type of hair plays a huge part in it. Pretty much anyone can grow long hair on a animal during the winter. The type of hair that everyone wants to work with is the really thick fuzzy hair and that's where the genetics plays a huge part. Good hair genetics will give you the thick fuzzy hair and bad hair genetics will give you wirey hair.

Zak

jlingle

1. Genetics.  If the calf isn't bred to have any hair, then guess what..... he ain't gonna grow it magically.

2. Hard work.  Rinse, blow, sheen.  Rinse, blow, sheen.  Rinse, blow, sheen.  Comb, brush, rinse, blow, sheen, comb, brush...... get the idea?  Having great hair on a calf is hard.  Period, end of story.  If you see a calf at a show with phenomenal hair, you can bet your last dollar that it didn't happen by accident.  That kid and his parents will NOT tell you "he was under a tree, with good shade."  If they do, they're trying to get you to take a shortcut so they can whip your ass again next year.

3. Be smart enough to not screw up a hairy calf.  Don't ruin good hair by over-soaping, letting his skin dry out, letting his skin get irritated, etc.  Be smart enough to not screw up a good one.  There are people out there that don't know what to do, even if they do get a genetically hairy calf.  Don't be that guy.

4. If you have the resources & the TIME, then use a cooler.  It's dark and cold, and will help grow hair.  But, don't think this is the easy way out, because this and step 2 in the equation go hand-in-hand.  Coolers are an enormous amount of work, and take an enormous amount of time, and they're just an addition to the rinsing, blowing, and sheening.  If you ain't willing to do the rinsing and blowing necessary to have hair, don't bother getting grandpa to burn $15K for you to have the latest greatest coolroom.

bcosu

the heatseeker/heatwave genetic lines have always given us the afro type fuzz that just pops really well.

the who lines have given us quantity of hair but it is more straight long hair.