OYE cattle barns

Help Support Steer Planet:

okiemom3

With the tear down of barns 4 & 5 this year.  I understand we are stalling against cement stem walls with low tie rings.  How do you attach the fan cages? 

wrc

Its going to be interesting how everything works out. From what I can tell the big outside wash racks on the west side of the barns are gone too. I didn't see it but my wife told me she read where cattle wouldn't be allowed in the barns until 8 each morning. I sure hope thats not true.

DLD

Well, if they give us any kind of washracks, they can't be much worse than what we had before...

wrc, I think maybe your wife was reading the part that said no heifers in the barn before 8 am Saturday.  I can't see anything about tie-outs anywhere - makes me wonder if they'll have any at all.

Sambosu

DLD, you are absolutely right.  The wash racks for cattle were incredibly bad.  You have ones with potholes so big calves could disappear in them.  Then you have the newer ones that become hazardously slick because they didn't rough up the concrete.  Despite OYE being one of the largest shows around, the cattle facilities at the State Fair Grounds have to be the worse.

DLD

The Oklahoma State Fair cares only about providing facilities for horses - other livestock are just a tiny afterthought, at best.  I understand the horse shows bring in lots of money, but it's kind of a shame that many counties have better livestock facilities (while still being able to host equine events, too).  For what they charge OYE alone, they ought to be able to at least provide decent washracks...

pjkjr4

I was going to stay away from this one, but I can't keep my mouth shut now. The OKC fairgrounds have been in dire need of work for many, many years. With all the emphasis in OKC (well, all of Oklahoma County) of money being put into MAPS, MAPS 2, and MAPS for kids, any sort of sales tax vote for the fairgrounds would never have come close to passing. Now that people have seen what the tax revenue from the MAPS project has done, I feel that the citizens of Oklahoma County would vote to pass a 1/4-1/2 cent tax for fairgrounds renovations.

DLD- It's true they charge the OYE an obscene amount of money. $130,000 is alot. Don't balme that on them. I feel 99.9% of the problem lies with the (former) CEO of the OYE, Jeremy Rich. It has been said that in his tenure, he darn near broke the show single-handedly. They used to charge $30,000, but because of his mismanagement and arrogance, they took advantage of that. He could have paid the rental just out of his salary for running the show though. That's how much he was being paid.

I feel optimistic about the state of the fairgrounds, as well as the future of the OYE. The new director has some very high expectations in the next few years to take this stock show to the next level.

P.S. The thing I'm the most concerned with, is the fact that kids have to be out of school so much this year for that show. Good luck!

wrc

From what I can tell maps3 is paying to build new barns to replace barns 4 and 5. The timing of all the construction is misfortunate for OYE 2012 but we should have all new facilities for 2013.  This year is going to be crowded and congested but hopefully we wont have too much trouble. I too wish that the show would have been scheduled along with spring break.

The Show

okiemom3 said:
With the tear down of barns 4 & 5 this year.  I understand we are stalling against cement stem walls with low tie rings.  How do you attach the fan cages? 
The new barn at fort worth is the same way, but it also has a bar running across the top. You have to take your own panels so you'll have something to tie the cattle to.  Wire them to the rings and the uprights for the top crossbar if there is one, and wire your end panels to the gate panels too.

DLD

pjkjr4 - My understanding is that $130K only covers facilities rent, and there's another $50K plus that the State Fair charges in other fees... Regardless of the exact figures, it's huge, and it's a big disadvantage that OYE  and it's premium sale has compared to most other junior shows (Tulsa, Fort Worth, etc...) - they dont pay rent.  Whatever got us here is water under the bridge now.  It's not going to be easy to get it back to good, but I too have lots of faith in Tyler - no one will work harder or have the kids best interest more at heart.

I really don't know much about exactly how it's funded, but major renovations at the fairgrounds have been going on pretty steady for several years now.  I just hope they do a better job of maintaining these new facilities than they have the old ones.  Many fairgrounds across the country still have very nice facilities that are much older than the ones they just tore down...  Okay - I'll stop now.

okiemom3 - there's a d ring up fairly high (looks like maybe 5.5 or 6' in the pics) on the steel square tubing that seperates each 10' concrete section, so between the low rings and that you should be able to secure a cage.  We have a cage with both high and low tie rails across the front, so that should work well. If you don't have that, you might want to bring some kind of panels to put across the front.

okiemom3

The stall assignments and a map of the barns are up on the web site.  Thank you for letting me know about the clamps around the dividers.  We do have the top and lower bars so we should be ok.  Thank you

pjkjr4

DLD- you are the 2nd person that has told me that about Tyler. My brother-in-law was in the same fraternity at oSu with him, and has the utmost respect for him. Good enough for you 2, good enough for me. I have faith that this deal will be squared away sooner rather than later. Too many good business people on that board to let it slide anymore. I do know that after this year, they are hoping to add the money from the steer carcasses back to the exhibitor, which will be huge to these kids.

Sorry, but I think I hijacked this thread. My apologies.

DLD said:
pjkjr4 - My understanding is that $130K only covers facilities rent, and there's another $50K plus that the State Fair charges in other fees... Regardless of the exact figures, it's huge, and it's a big disadvantage that OYE  and it's premium sale has compared to most other junior shows (Tulsa, Fort Worth, etc...) - they dont pay rent.  Whatever got us here is water under the bridge now.  It's not going to be easy to get it back to good, but I too have lots of faith in Tyler - no one will work harder or have the kids best interest more at heart.