P2P sale of hooks

Help Support Steer Planet:

justme

Not sure if he is or isn't.  Every year since we bought breds at his no bull sale he promises to come check out our calves, but never does.  Haven't seen a thing about it.  I have seen him really starting to promote bulls again though.

yuppiecowboy

Thank you Justme. I thought I was the only one who bought from the bull**** sale that Hook stood up.

afhm

He is having it but putting a different spin on it.  The calves will be priced with a buy it now price til sometime in June then the rest will be bid off  or something like that.

Show Heifer

Have I mis-understood something.....justme, yuppiecowboy - you say he doesn't come and look at calves, or keep his word, and yet you seem to want to attend his sale again. Am I missing something??

Throttle

He's doing it online with videos instead and it starts the 15th I believe. He won't be gathering the calves and having them at his place, just going to the owner's, making a video, and posting it on his website. There was info in the last Show Circuit.

He's been good to me over the years with both calves for the P2P and females for the No Bull. He also sells me semen on his bulls at a discount rate when he comes to look at calves in the spring. I don't want anyone to take this as a dig at them personally, but a lot of people seem to have gripes with the cattle traders and semen jocks for one reason or another, and here's what most people don't understand. These guys want the kind of cattle that you can't find anywhere else, and they want to pay the least amount possible for them. I have a good working relationship with 3-4 of the bigger show cattle traders out there and I think it is because I don't expect too much of them. I understand that they can find good cattle anywhere and that I have to somehow make mine a different or better deal to make them valuable to these guys. Do things like selling Hook a heifer that makes a $7500 No Bull bred for $1200 on a regular basis and it pays off for you in things like getting $25/straw semen for $15 or less every spring or getting his marketing power behind your $3500 steers (which turns them into $5000 steers). Just like anything else, it requires a lot of give and take with these guys, but we all know that ultimately, the business we all love would hardly exist without them.

justme

Jen your way off on this one.  I went to one sale bought numerous bred heifers, set up many appointments and he never showed up.  And no, I've never went back. 

He'd never know what I've got he's never stopped and looked.  I bought some really nice breds from him.  One calf he wanted me to hold for him ended up going to the royal and won the maine anjou fancy heifer division.  Not to sound sour, but one of my pet peeves is when you make promises and set up times, you should keep those appointments or call and cancel.  Also, he goes right thru our county to look at calves, I'm really on his way to this other guys place so I'm not out of the way.

Show Heifer

There is NOTHING worse than someone (let along a business man) who won't keep their promises!!! I agree!! And I also agree with the "I won't go back" theory!!!  <party>

Throttle: I also agree with you (talk about "peace, love and happiness day"!!) you should NEVER expect too much from someone, let alone someone you do business with.  I mean really, why would one EXPECT someone to keep their word? You shouldn't expect such nonsense. (this previous paragraph was meant totally sarcastic).
And to think I was under the impression that the less you thought of someone the less they gave you and the more you thought of someone the more they wanted to please you. My mistake. (this paragraph is actually what I think, but could be construded as sarcastic by some.)

jbh

To "Just Me or Gidget as I know you:

You know,  I normally let these comments like this drop.....but.....today I guess I won't.

To everyone wondering about the p2p sale....the post above explains it perfectly.  The videos will be launched on June 15th and we'll see how this approach to marketing will be received.  I'm working on making it as user friendly as possible to as many types of video players as possible through an outside source and I'm pretty sure you guys will love it.  If you have any questions about it don't hesitate to call my cell and leave a message if I don't answer. This should be better than spending $5 diesel to get here and look at them.

Now Gidget.......if you'll remember.....everytime I had to break an appointment I was kind enough to call and tell you....and as I remember it, by the time I finally got around to getting there, you had decided to keep the heifer for your daughter to show at the state fair,  after that I don't remember anything else.  I was in your area a time a two and did not reach you, but as I remember the "several" bred heifers you bought was actually maybe only two.....and I'm thinking they were'nt horribly expensive.  SO, in return for me supplying you with a bred that delivered an obviously quality product (American Royal champion) at an affordable price, I get my name drug through the mud on a chat forum because I didn't get there to look at a calf that you were keeping for your daughter to show.

I'll be the first to admit that I get spread way too thin and don't always get done everything that should've been.  I receive numerous phone calls everyday and I'm thankful for it....because the alternative would not be any fun, BUT I am not perfect and obviously have disappointed some of the millions of people I've come in contact with......I'm sorry, but so goes life!  Thanks to all of you who have supported my programs (p2p, No Bull, and semen).  If I can help you out in any way please give me a call......BUT DON"T count on me coming to your house! (unless you have fresh pie) ;)

Respectfully,  Brad Hook.

justme

I guess I missed some of those messages that's ok.  I remember being told not to show the heifer.  We were lucky enough to get her entered at the last minute at the Royal thank goodness.  My daughter wasn't of 4-H age yet we just wanted to take it to the Iowa state fair jackpot show they have to let her have some fun with her.

Just seemed odd how long it took to get even a response.  I don't want an arguement, not my intentions, I'm not like that.  Just seemed odd how on the mic over and over promises were made.  I did my part contacting you.  Seems like I wasn't the only one that had the problem.  Must have been a kink in the communications line on serveral fronts.  I hear great things from other buyers, they must have been several of the lucky ones.  I just know what I experienced.  heck, I never got another sale flier from you after my purchases, and that's ok too.  To each there own.  To us it was a lot of money, guess we both have difference of what alot of money is. 

Don't want to burn a bridge, just nice to finally get an answer.  Shame, I make pretty good pie here.  Door's always open if you ever get down here.  The bigger purchase I made from you had twins this year sadly but we have some nice maine heifers and steers in the pasture.

To everyone reading this...I will say, I made some really nice purchases from Mr. Hook.  Don't regret the purchases one bit.  He's has a wonderful eye for cattle.  I just am going more purebred now not clubby, and wasn't totally satisfied with "customer service".

Gidget/justme
(everyone knows who I am on here anyways)

chambero

A lot of us might expect a little too much sometimes from the folks we buy cattle from.  I know my father-in-law would sometimes like to get his feelings hurt because one of the main guys we buy bulls from doesn't always pick up as many calves or as often as he'd like.  When he gripes I like to ask him how many of his calves did his commercial heifer supplier buy over the years (the answer of course is zero). 

I know what our problem is now - I like to keep to many of our calves back for my boys to show.  In all honestly, the big traders sell so many good cattle that they do have a hard time getting everywhere and buying something back.  None of us (unless we are real good or real lucky) are going to have more than a calf or two a year that fits into that rarified air of the very very best ones anyway.

That being said, I do expect them to show an interest in how their cattle are doing, actually being friendly with me when they see me, and return my phone calls.  I've got no gripes with our main suppliers even though I'd always like to do a little better.  It's just kind of hard when I really don't want to sell those top two or three to begin with.

red

I guess I'd rather someone just be honest w/ me upfront that they aren't going to come out & look at my calves. I'd rather be told they can't or are too busy rather than given empty promises. I confess I quit buying from a person whom I'd spent over $14,000 w/ because of too many empty promises & then a rude comment from their son on being just too busy to drive 30 miles.
I agree as a buyer/seller it's a totally different set of shoes when you you become the seller versus a buyer! I'm sure people that sell large volume of calves have a terrible time trying to see/ follow-up a small % of calves. Maybe that's why I like my small operation.

Red