PAP brisket's disease

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

found some info on this disease, but couldn't find whether animals that have been scored to excel at elevation (ie do not have high blood pressure) do not have an issue at lower elevation kind of like humans with low ablood pressure or like kenyan marathon runners.  interesting how animals are scored.  lowered oxygen levels stimulate the heart to pump more and more red blood cells get made and heart enlarges to get more air to the lungs causing problems.  in animals without this "protection" mechanism i couldn't find how they were getting along, or had a more efficient oxygen distribution mechanism without the advantage/disadvantage? of not being able to go to higher elevations.

http://www.shamrockangus.com/whatispap.html

gotta be a gene/s for this.

red

wow, Knabe- really interesting. I had heard that some of these rances at higher elevation had problems but didn't know what type.
Thanks for the information!

Red

cowz

Great post and link Knabe.  I live at 7300 ft in Colorado and am very familiar with the disease.  Once they express the symptoms, they very rarely, at least in my experience, recover.  We have had angus and red angus who come down with it.  It is very important to test purchased bulls for this if they run in the hills.

knabe

this may sound strange cowz, but are these individuals more or less resistant to BVD.  there seems to be something going with the ability of these cells to change their pore shape, shape or something.  do they have the same red blood cell count, but don't get the big heart. 

waaaaaaaaaay to much info in the following link

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=1351363

amazing how everything goes back to the potassium pump

perhaps the cells are flexible in their "coding" to increase in diameter based on environment and can lower pressure, but the red blood cell number is still higher as body tries to get oxygen at the higher elevations.

since tenderness genes change molecular structure of cells, any lines of cattle combining the two have interesting phenotypes?

cowz

Knabe, I have not been around enough high mountain disease cattle to adequately discuss your last comment, but the info you brought was fascinating. The experiences we had were with black or red angus cows and bulls brought up from a lower altitute.  They seemed to express this problem within 60 days of arrival. 

I know that Colorado State University has done a lot of research on this at their field station near Hesperus, Colorado.  Here is a link to an article about their work.  I didnt realize that the Spanish Conquistadors documented this disease in their cattle.  How interesting!

http://www.angusjournal.com/articlepdf/1100aj_tybar.pdf