PAP testing

Help Support Steer Planet:

DiamondS

I am considering a new job at 9,000 ft elevation.  I live in KS now and my cows are all flatlanders.  I'm worried that they won't survive there, and I'm wondering if anybody could share any info on brisket disease and testing for it.  How many cows from lower elevation usually can't handle the higher elevation?  I've got a nice cowherd built up, small but nice, and I really hate to part with them.  Can I test these cows before taking them to that elevation or do they have to be at that elevation first?  Any info on this would be appreciated.

DL

DiamondS said:
I am considering a new job at 9,000 ft elevation.  I live in KS now and my cows are all flatlanders.  I'm worried that they won't survive there, and I'm wondering if anybody could share any info on brisket disease and testing for it.  How many cows from lower elevation usually can't handle the higher elevation?  I've got a nice cowherd built up, small but nice, and I really hate to part with them.  Can I test these cows before taking them to that elevation or do they have to be at that elevation first?  Any info on this would be appreciated.

Send me an email and I can put you in touch with a PAP expert, DL ;)
[email protected]

cowz

Colorado State University has been doing a lot of research on brisket  or "high mountain disease" for 50+ years.

Here are a couple good links:  jas.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/jas.2007-0270v1

www.csubeef.com/index.php?option=com_csu_cattle&Itemid=36&action=download&pdf=163 -

www.westerncowman.com/september07/brisketdisease.html