parents

Help Support Steer Planet:

kidsandkows

It's funny but I am far enough from and close enough to Saskman in age to distinctly remember thinking I knew how thngs worked. The thing I remember most was when people older and wiser would tell me that the world was so much bigger than high school, but from where I was that seemed like the world. For what ever reason at that age it was very hard (impossible) to see these people trying to help me had more life experience than I did and I just needed to have faith in what they were telling me. They were trying to make me a better person, for me, not for their personal reasons. I think your Dad fit into this category.

shortyjock89

I think it's good and normal for young people to have conflict with their parents at some point. I remember just a few years ago, my dad and I would get into it about every other week. Not over work ethic or anything, mostly about management decisions and even daily issues dealing with the cattle.  Now, I get along with him better than just about anyone else.  I think we both gained a lot of respect for each other and can now work as peers and can work together to progress our grain and cattle operation.  High School is just High School, I never subscribed to any of the drama or cliques, but there is something to be said for having a social life while in high school.  If you just spend all your time on the farm, never getting out, you're going to have a hard time in college making contacts that will be very pivotal to the rest of your life. 

xxcc

knabe said:
move out.
yeah, instead of working things out, do that...or better yet, file a lawsuit against them.  nobody needs to get along anymore.  let's all be selfish. (argue)

american honey

my parents always tell me... this too shall pass, not quite sure what it means but ya know it helps a little now and then!

jlingle

I have a 9 year old boy sleeping under my roof that could probably teach you a thing or two about work ethic.  He'll do all of your work, and be looking for more.  You now why?  Because he's been taught that hard work pays off.  Period, end of story. He writes that little motto under the brim of all of his ballcaps.  He works hard, he enjoys being able to see that he's made a difference doing something, and the little kid is REAL help when I need it.  Our showcalves may not always be winners, but I intend for my kids to be.  My son stood 4th out of 13 in his class at OYE, and I couldn't have been more proud.  He walked the calf, he rinsed and blew him out, he fed and watered him, he cleaned the calves' bed inside the barn every night, and he helped me daily without complaining (and I"m talking about at home, all year long. Not just at the shows.)  My only regret was that I didn't get the boy a better steer, because he deserved it.  

I had the privilege of watching the premium sale last night at the Oklahoma Youth Expo.  They interviewed each Grand Champion and Reserve Grand exhibitor.  They asked each kid a few questions like "What's your favorite part about showing?" or "What has showing animals taught you?"  Without exception, they said that hard work, perseverence, attention to detail, and taking responsibility for your actions are the qualities that they've learned.  That's how champions think.  Your dad isn't the problem, son.  I don't know how much more plainly to state it.