Passing of a great Shorthorn breeder

Help Support Steer Planet:

justintime

I am on the road today, and i received a phone call that has left me in shock all day. Doug Schrag from Schrag Shorthorns, Marion, South Dakota passed away on Sunday. The funeral is on Friday. Doug was a great breeder of catlle, but even more was a genuine caring person. My condolences to his wife Candace, and to Cory and Melissa. I believe Doug's dad, Paul is now 98 years old and still lives in his own home and still drives out to the farm. Dougs mother is now in a home. I believe Doug was  60 years old, and he will certainly be missed. I did not see anything here in regards to this bad event so I decided i would post this in the vent that some who knew him had not heard. If this has been posted and i missed it, i apologize.

minimoo38

oh my gosh. cory just judged the ft. dodge show this past weekend, and he was really nice, so he must have gotten from his dad.  (angel) i sure that he will be greatly missed.  :'(

oakbar

Wow!!  What a shock!!  I just spent a lot of time talking to Cory and Melissa on Saturday!!  You're right--theyr'e great people and we've had the pleasure of doing business with them over the last few years and getting to know them a little in that time as well!!  Doug was always very gracious and a good host whenever we visited his farm.  I'm sure he will be missed greatly by his family and all his friends in the cattle industry!!

CAB

Sorry to hear that, there are a bunch of great SS cattle. A good tribute to a man's life efforts. He will be missed greatly.

red

I saw a post in the prayer section. That is too bad. God is really putting together some great cattlemen in heaven.  (angel)

Red

garybob

red said:
I saw a post in the prayer section. That is too bad. God is really putting together some great cattlemen in heaven.  (angel)

Red
You know, it takes an entire crew to care for that many cattle on a thousand hills.

:'(GB

red

can someone get me an address? I know they aren't members but I try to send condolance cards from Steer Planet.

Red

common sense

I am so sorry to hear that.  I never met him but have heard so many good things about him and the family.  Flat out good folks.  Red, that would be very nice to send a card from the entire steer planet.  Thanks.

Juli

oakbar

Red,

Their address is:  Schrag Shorthorn Farms
                            27664-444th Ave.
                            Marion, SD 57043

Hope that helps.

We were headed out there this weekend to see our AP 886 cow and her Deadwood heifer but I guess our plans have changed.    Life can change in a minute and we often spend too much time worrying about the really miniscule things in life rather than the important ones.  I hope everyone takes a look around themselves today and thanks the Lord for all their blessings!!!

Oakbar

Shorthorn_Junkie

Oh man, I have not been on here in a few days, and had no idea of Mr. Schrag's passing.  I am saddened to hear of this. 

Does anyone know the cause of death?

red

I bought a card today. Will send out tomorrow. Does this sound OK? Our deepest sympathy, we have lost a great cattleman. from the "family" of steerplanet.com

Also, if there are other instances of someone passing away or seriously ill that this "family" should send a card to, let me know.  (angel)  (angel)

Red