pasture sale results

Help Support Steer Planet:

afhm

Have any of you been hearing reports on how these sales have been going?  What have they been selling for?  What are they out of?  Who is buying them?
So far I have heard of a $20,250 Golden Child steer in KS, a 59,500 Heat Wave steer, a 30,500 crossbred heifer and a 44,000 steer all in SD, a 10,500 heat Wave steer in NE.  I haven't heard anything out of Iowa other than the quality is supposedly not as good as it has been in the past.

red

in Iowa, a Contender heifer brought $19K I believe. A SunSeeker heifer brought $5K. a HeatWave steer brought $16K. Don't quote me on the prices though. Heard there were a lot of bidders at this sale. Yes, the heifers had most of their PHA/TH statuses listed.

Red

SWMO

I just can't fathom spending that kind of money on a steer.  The kid would have to win a major to even begin to come out on a steer that expensive.  Thankfully most of those steers don't go one to win that many shows porportionally.  I see many of the $1,000 to $2,000 steers go on and win.  Kinda gives you hope that everyone will always be able to compete.

Even if I could spend that kind of money I wouldn't.  I feel that my kids need to learn that success needs to be earned not bought.

Sure would like to sell one for that kind of money though.

knabe

kinda reminds you of football, doesn't it?  only one can win.  go niners, go raidus.  i think it's gonna be tough again for both of them.  i think chargers, pats is the real super bowl, which is why i'm for seeding the nfl like a tennis tournament.  the conferences were only to play up a rivalry that went away a long time ago between the upstart afl and the nfl.  gotta admit, the boys looked tough though, if wade can keep them together, unlike where he was before, and with that o-line and the OTHER wide receiver, tight end, rb and if the defense can pull it together a little better who knows.  old time bob lily fan.  still can't believe walt garrison got stopped at the goal line.  man, that was like watching roger craig fumble the ball with time running out with what would have been a visit to the super bowl again wtih a 6th title.

sorry, wrong thread.

chambero

Folks aren't spending that much money with the intent to make a profit.  They are doing it to give themselves the best chance to win.  In reality, you never know how many of these prices are truly what is paid.  But make not mistake about, a lot of people pay a whole lot of money for calves.

Which is probably stupid, but If I were that free and easy with my money I'd rather spend it on show calves than "Select" kids sports leagues (down here some of those coaches draw salaries higher than high school coaches), ultra expensive cars or motorcycles, or horses.  Do folks have any idea what good horses sell for now?  Makes $20K steers sound cheap.

And you are correct - most of those calves are never heard from again because most of the people buying them really don't want to spend the time taking care of them.

pigguy

the horse market is crap. at the sale barn you might as well give the horses away. we bought a horse not to long ago for 3000. but the price last year i wouldnt have even looked at the horse

chambero

You can't give them away at the sale barn but the high end quarter horse market (cutting horses, roping horses, and even good cow horses etc) is still way beyond ridiculous.

knabe

the horse sale at this years NRCHA this end of sept-oct will be interesting.  there will be more horses this year than ever, 360 lots.  horses are going to accumulate after the closure of the slaughterhouse, and the market will contract, including income for saddle companies, vet bills, hay probably not because of cattle, catalog sales, trailers, etc.  the gene pool will contract, but its progress i guess in some people's eyes.  people weaned on smoothies and puree fruit drinks will wonder what real food was.  soylent green anyone?  by then, it's too late.  too bad, silly humans.

http://www.davehammondauctions.com/Auctions.NRCHA.SaleInformation.aspx

they usually go from 1000 to 25,000 with the odd high seller at 30-50k, one sale topper usually goes for 100,000

i remember one two year old in the sale a while ago, a pretty strawberry roan.  the next year he won.  he was a son of peptoboonsmal, and roans have dominated ever since, particularly in cutting with the boon lines.