PAY UR BILLS

Help Support Steer Planet:

roycattle

I wish there was a place on the net to post all the people that speak for cattle then never pay.  I had 3 different people who spoke for calves this fall and still have not paid. The good news is that i still have the calves. Bad news i could have sold them to a real customer!!! All 3 saw pictures on the internet. For now on I'm taking money down to hold for 2 weeks. Its amazing how easy it is to get ah old of someone until you call to collect. Get a life people if you dont have the money then don't inquire about the stock because you are wasting my time! This is why I post all my info on my calves i do not want to pm...CALL me  and if you dont have the money then dont call!!!!  Most of the cattle producers are spending countless hours in the barn calving out cows.  The last thing we need is a lost sales opportunity because someones head is larger than there pocketbook.  Guess i just needed to vent, it would be nice to have a deadbeat list that may save some headaches in the future.  

knabe

roycattle said:
 I had 3 different people who spoke for calves this fall and still have not paid.

be flexible in your marketing.  make new rules, like......must be paid in full in one week, or whatever or add to the cost with a feed bill at $5/day holding fee.

i've had to pay that in the past.

another thing to do is make a steerplanet contract thread.

another thing you could do is twist it around a little.  " i have calves that are spoken for, but the hold lasts till such and such a date" and post it on steer planet.  that way we could post to the thread interest in the calves with countless PM me comments.

SKF

I have had the same problem. After the last time it happened I have now started a policy of a non-refundable deposit and I give the buyer 10 days to pay the deposit or the calf is back on the market. After I get the deposit I put in writting when the full amount is due and when the calf needs to be picked up and if they don't pay pay that date they lose any money they have given me for the calf and the calf goes back on the market. I had to learn this lesson the hard way!! I wish people who speak for a calf would understand that as the seller we pass up on other chance to sell that calf and if they back out we may never get that chance to sell the calf for what we wanted. I wish there was a place for their names so everyone else can be carefull when dealing with these people. The days of someones word meaning something are over. Good luck with getting your calves sold!!

OH Breeder

The only thing that I have found effective. Is when I see the same people in the classifieds asking for PM etc on calves that have wasted my time, I make sure I let those who are selling know what kind of business dealings I had with the buyer. So if you see these same people on here in the classified section let the seller's know about them. I would think if folks find out what kind of business they do then it might get more difficult for them to get one over on people.
I have been really lucky to have dealt with some great people on here. Sorry to hear about your luck.

Bawndoh

I know how you feel...to some extent.  Ive been trying to sell my truck for over a year.  Many people offer me much less over the internet or phone, saying that they dont think the truck is worth what I am asking.  Funny thing is....they never physically come to see the truck.  Jerks!  You know how well judging a book by its cover works!!  Others say they will come see it....we dig it out of the snow, get it started, cleaned and ready.....and the people are no shows!  I have had 1 out of about 15 people who actually came!!  Talk about wrecking a persons day.  I definately could have been doing better things.

kfacres

great post.. IMO everyone has these problems...

here's what I did to stop them, and it's on writing on my website....for all to see.

We require a 1/2 down- non refundable deposit in order to hold any animal...  I give them a week to send the check in the mail...  If they are serious, they pay, they pick up, and I don't worry....  To those who tinker around, It is also stated, that I can't guarantee that animal will be for sale next week, people are always contacting me about buying, and I sell first come first serve.  you piss around, and I sell it to someone else, you loose out...  sorry, I'm in this business to make money

of course there are some exceptions, if they can come up with a really, really good reason, I might sympathize...

Jill

I guess I don't quite understand the issue here, you have created your own problem.  Why would you hold something as sold without payment?  We must be the exception to the rule, we sell on a first come first served basis and have never had a problem with someone not paying, we have sold with terms and they make payments, but I'm not holding one for anyone.  Am I missing something?

SKF

Jill said:
I guess I don't quite understand the issue here, you have created your own problem.  Why would you hold something as sold without payment?  We must be the exception to the rule, we sell on a first come first served basis and have never had a problem with someone not paying, we have sold with terms and they make payments, but I'm not holding one for anyone.  Am I missing something?

We have bought from people in the past that held a calf for us on just our word and the sellers were great about holding the calf until the kids got their fair checks or until we got a ride arranged. Of course we always paid. Heck if it was not for some great breeders out there who worked with us when we first started my kids would not have had the calves they had. We even had a couple breeders send us calves from out of state with nothing except our word that we would pay when the fair checks came. So I tried to help kids out the way mine were in the beginning but unfortanly it has not worked out that way. So I can understand why someone would hold a calf for someone with out any money down. Now days you can not be so trusting.

jmb1498

Jill said:

Yea you are...... A little saying that I was raised with "your word is your bond" 

kfacres

SKF said:
Jill said:

We have bought from people in the past that held a calf for us on just our word and the sellers were great about holding the calf until the kids got their fair checks or until we got a ride arranged. Of course we always paid. Heck if it was not for some great breeders out there who worked with us when we first started my kids would not have had the calves they had. We even had a couple breeders send us calves from out of state with nothing except our word that we would pay when the fair checks came. So I tried to help kids out the way mine were in the beginning but unfortanly it has not worked out that way. So I can understand why someone would hold a calf for someone with out any money down. Now days you can not be so trusting.

I have done this too, both ways.. many times....  but like you said, those days, unfortunately, are over....  sad but true

cotullaguy

take a nonrefundable deposit, like 50%, get a date for the final payment, have them sign an agreement if you do not know them if possible, and they do not get the animal till it is paid in full.  simple.  never take a post dated check as it is not considered hot if it does not clear..be careful as not everyone is honorable. 

roycattle

wow  i have created my own problem.  When i started in this business I would sell calves to "jocks" for no money down and they wolud speak for them when they were on the cow and pick them up in the fall.  I sold several calves for a lot of money over the years to these type of people, I NEVER had a problem with any of these.  It seems to be a different deal when the internet started to become a major marketing tool.  Do not misunderstand i think it is a  great tool but it has allowed a whole new set of problems that make it not near as fun to stay upall night deliverying calves when it is 10 below zero, or jacking a deadone out that you bred at 1130 at night after your daughters softball game.  My main point is that i wish there was a place to make a list of all the problem buyers that way not everyone has to get the same BS every year.

kobo_ranch

Jill... you go girl!  That's what I say.  

Fella's it would be a wonderful world if it was the good ole days where you could take a man for his word.  But I'm afraid those days are gone.
Do as Ms Jill says!   My husband is one of those old fashioned kind a guys...  always comes home complaining about what's wrong with people not doing what they say anymore....  I tell him times are a changin'  just can't trust anybody much unfortunately.  <cowboy>

kobo_ranch

roycattle said:
wow  i have created my own problem.  When i started in this business I would sell calves to "jocks" for no money down and they wolud speak for them when they were on the cow and pick them up in the fall.  I sold several calves for a lot of money over the years to these type of people, I NEVER had a problem with any of these.  It seems to be a different deal when the internet started to become a major marketing tool.  Do not misunderstand i think it is a  great tool but it has allowed a whole new set of problems that make it not near as fun to stay upall night deliverying calves when it is 10 below zero, or jacking a deadone out that you bred at 1130 at night after your daughters softball game.  My main point is that i wish there was a place to make a list of all the problem buyers that way not everyone has to get the same BS every year.
That's another thing husband says..."those compooters are gonna ruin the world!"
He doesn't know how to turn one on.

feeder duck

Jill said:

Jill: I would like to think this hits real close to home for me as roycattle is my brother in law. I think what you are missing is that one would think there would be a shred of honesty among people in this business. I know there can be because I just spent the entire day and had dinner with a great family/buyers I now call friends from Florida.I have also sold cattle to KFacres and now consider him a friend as well.There are a bunch of good people I have done business with on here and I can say pretty much all are great. The funny thing is most of the time it is easy to sort the BULL. The name droppers and the "I Did This" "I Did That" usually do not have a  ....to .....in, or a window to throw it out. I have done business with some great families on here and will continue to do so. Funny thing is it is ok to say great things about your great buyers, but you become an .... when you let people know about the dead beats.

To all that have offered selling tips, there are some good ones, thanks i may use a few myself.

Just my opinion and we all know how that saying goes!!!!!!!!

Jeff Cornell

chambero

We've never been flat stiffed on a calf, but we've had to wait a real long time to get money before.  Nowadays, they ain't sold till we have money in our hand.  Of course we don't sell cattle to traders anymore because of that policy.  That's ok with us.