Pedigree guru

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

CommonSense!  hope you had a great birthday!  Good to see you back on here!

Are you talking about Calberta Big Timber?  I found this on HAA Big Timber, but I do not know any of these lines!

http://maine-anjou.weaveyourwebdreams.com/breed/pedigree.asp?RegNo=352113

I am probably way off here, but what the heck!

Cowboy

Seeing how you haven't been able to answer your phone -- I will post the answer here!!

I have EVERY SEK semen book since 1991 -- and low and behold -- he is in the 2004 catolog, and his sire is in the 1993 book!!

Big Timber is a Bogaards  grand-son, being sired by Calberta Paydirt from JMP Miss Always (Mr Dor Way 301V x Ramblin Rose)

Bogaards is a Sir Awesome W-32 (Awesome 007 x JB Streamette R-30 ) out of Venetel Specl Effect 60 (AA Black Gold x PTR Miss EP 81936 ((A 3/4 female with Epinal in her))  )

Big Timber is considered a Pure Bred Maine

Never thought for a minute I would be able to be a PED-RU -- but this just happened to fall in place!! Hope this helps you out Juli -- things going OK up there??

Terry

common sense

Cowboy, I am NOT ignoring you.  Ran away for the weekend and now CRAZY calving!!  Had to put Uptown Girl down yesterday...septic. Geesh, my two best cows in one short timespan.   Otherwise calving going very well but HW calves are MONGO!  Just curious if anyone can tell me if Calberta Big Timber could potentially be a carrier.  I just don't know those bloodlines and I don't think he was ever tested.  I have two calving right now...taking a quick "house break" and then back outside.  I promise I will try to return your call.  Having a "good" day thus far.  Thanks everyone for the info.

So is Epinal a carrier?

Telos

Calberta Big Timber has been one of the bulls I wish Dr. Beever would have tested. He sure is consistent in throwing a bigger rib then most and has some down sizing as well. Russ Salton used him a little. I have seen a number of offspring and they sure are easy to spot out.

Mr Dor Way 301V in Big Timber's pedigree is an interesting fellow. If you go back five generations you will see a Fullblood bull named Fetiche. His dam is a French cow named Sibelle. You will find her in Stinger's pedigree also. I do think Sibelle was the carrier in Stinger. The PC Metric at the very bottom is clean. Dr. Coover had it tested a couple of weeks ago. So Megaton would probably be clean.

There were two  pedigrees which produced a PHA calf that was sent to Dr. Beever the first year of explorering pedigrees. Mr Dor Way 301V was in those two pedigrees with nothing else looking suspicious.

common sense

Thanks you guys. Telos, do you study this stuff in your sleep?! It's just amazing how far back this stuff goes and how really difficult it is to track!  Everyone assumes that if they follow the sire side of the pedigree it will fix things but you have to follow the dams dam or great grand dam or great grandsire's dam. Gets tricky in some commercial or club calf situations where people just don't take the tme to test their females.

Telos

Dalton is closer up in the pedigree on Dor Way and would be the logical choice of culprits. XXCC, Big Timber is Considered the thickest most massive son. Do you think  line breeding Dalton which is what you have going on in the bottom of that pedigree with Megaton thrown in the mix, helps with this stouter characteristic? He really needs to be tested and semen should not be that hard to come by. Big Timber calves have always interested me.

Telos

One other note of interest...There does not seem to be any Dalton derivatives yet that has tested positive. Midas, Metric, Limited Edition the list goes on.

xxcc

i have tail hair in an envelope on my desk from a Dalton son (fullblood by the way).  if he is not a carrier, i will be surprised.  if dalton is a carrier and does not have many descendants that are, i would find that interesting.  i have some ampules of Dalton and would like to run an experiment, but need to get a little organized in the ka'ching department first.