People want beef

Help Support Steer Planet:

shorthorns r us

Vegetarian Café Gets Beefy 

The vegetarian-friendly Café Brenda in Minneapolis has added grass-fed beef to the menu, according to the Minneapolis Star Tribune. “The fact of the matter is that people want beef,” says café owner Brenda Langton.

The café is serving fajitas, roasts, stroganoff and a New York strip. “I ate my first piece of steak in my entire life last week,” she told the newspaper. “It was delicious.”
-- Minneapolis Star Tribune 

red

also there was a vegan restaurant that was failing so they became the first vegan gentleman's club. Strippers not required to be grass eaters but no furs, leather or anything that came from an animal. Is peddling human flesh OK though?

knabe

red, this is called progressive, where freedom is progressive.  one wouldn't want to judge, now would they?  we must remain neutral.  i mean we need to make every culture welcome.

i just converted my vegetarian horse rescuer, save every feral cat neighbor to eat beef.

she was amazed i was able to taste why her potato salad sucked because she used some funky organic wheat noodles that overwhelmed every other taste, including the potatoes.  got her drinking wine too.  yes, she has a husband, so no SP dating service involved.  next up, more music variety than jimmy buffet.  seriously, that's ALL they have.

Bawndoh

I was very curious as to what Hummus tasted like, since Ranch, and other "dips" have so much fat in them.  Well I bought the smallest container of Hummus, and it was even garlic flavoured or something.  Well....it is truely disgusting!!  I had one peice of mushroom dipped in it and it hit the garbage can real fast!!  Have you ever heard of "good" hummus??  I would eat it if it didnt taste like cardboard soaked in sewer water (lol).

knabe

hey bawndoh, i read that fast and thought it said Humans.  i agree with you,  hummous is hurrible.  you can always tell when the vege's are trying to assimilate you, they pass this off on you.

it's pretty easy to eat fruit and vegetables, and decrease the amount of salad dressing isn't it?

here's my ranch replacement.

1/3 balsamic vinegar
2/3 olive oil

1-2 tablespoons sweet mustard with a splash of lemon and spices you may like (which you can get ideas for on bottle labels). 

if you get one of those hand held micro mixers, you can emulsify this very well.  if there's dressing in the bottom of your bowl or plate, it's a waste.

it's also a LOT cheaper than buying ranch dressing.

my favorite salad is duck confit with spinach and the above dreassing made with pear vinegar and cranberries.

duck confit is twice cooked duck legs that are cooked a second time to get the fat off the meat that it was stored in after it was cooked the first time.  it's kind of like carnitas, except, um, duckier.

knabe

red said:
also there was a vegan restaurant that was failing so they became the first vegan gentleman's club. Strippers not required to be grass eaters but no furs, leather or anything that came from an animal. Is peddling human flesh OK though?

randolph college had a field trip to a brothel in nevada the other day.  what started out as a field trip to investigate water rights, turned out to be a field trip to investigate other consumptive matters.

and to think, one has to pay for their kids to be educated about this.  what a bargain.

Bawndoh

knabe said:
hey bawndoh, i read that fast and thought it said Humans.  i agree with you,  hummous is hurrible.  you can always tell when the vege's are trying to assimilate you, they pass this off on you.

it's pretty easy to eat fruit and vegetables, and decrease the amount of salad dressing isn't it?

here's my ranch replacement.

1/3 balsamic vinegar
2/3 olive oil

1-2 tablespoons sweet mustard with a splash of lemon and spices you may like (which you can get ideas for on bottle labels). 

if you get one of those hand held micro mixers, you can emulsify this very well.  if there's dressing in the bottom of your bowl or plate, it's a waste.

it's also a LOT cheaper than buying ranch dressing.

my favorite salad is duck confit with spinach and the above dreassing made with pear vinegar and cranberries.

duck confit is twice cooked duck legs that are cooked a second time to get the fat off the meat that it was stored in after it was cooked the first time.  it's kind of like carnitas, except, um, duckier.

(lol)
Thanks for the recipe.  Will give it a try some day forsure!  The latest batch of our beef tastes odd to me.  I think it is that fat that sits in it after it has been cooked the first time, like you were reffering to.  I go to eat leftover chili, for example, and my mouth tastes like fat.  Like the fat flavour sticks to the roof of my mouth. 

SWMO

Bawndoh,  do you butcher a beef that you have raised or do you purchase your meat?

There is a big difference in processors.  We for years took our steers to a local processor that didn't have tall enough coolers to hang a full half so they quartered the beef and hung it.  Then they got to where they would only hang the beef for a week.  Our steaks were not as tender as I thought they should be and I did not like the flavor of the hamburger at all it tasted a little off to me.  We have used a different processor for the past two years that hangs the full half of carcass and will let it hang for as long as you desire.

The difference in the tenderness and quality of the meat is unbelievable.  And the hamburger has a much better flavor  our customers have even said the same thing.
Don't let anyone tell you that quartering and only hanging for a week is sufficient.

Bawndoh

SWMO said:
Bawndoh,  do you butcher a beef that you have raised or do you purchase your meat?

There is a big difference in processors.  We for years took our steers to a local processor that didn't have tall enough coolers to hang a full half so they quartered the beef and hung it.  Then they got to where they would only hang the beef for a week.  Our steaks were not as tender as I thought they should be and I did not like the flavor of the hamburger at all it tasted a little off to me.  We have used a different processor for the past two years that hangs the full half of carcass and will let it hang for as long as you desire.

The difference in the tenderness and quality of the meat is unbelievable.  And the hamburger has a much better flavor  our customers have even said the same thing.
Don't let anyone tell you that quartering and only hanging for a week is sufficient.
We raise and butcher our own.  Red Angus, good flavour and everything.  It just seems like this latest batch has that odd fat taste to it. 
Yeah for the last beef we had a butcher come to our yard and cut the beef right there.  Did he butcher it or what!!  There were HUGE roasts, the hamburger was barely ground up, and we would always get sick from it.  Not to mention most of the steaks/roasts/hamburger was just gross!  It was such a waste of money.  I threw so much of it away becuase it was just gross, and tough!  Didnt matter how you cooked it.  Anyhow, you are right, what a difference a good meat cutter can make.

garett

We've started butchering longhorns, their meat is supposed to be very tender and lean. The company that would butcher them did a great job but then they decided to only butcher meat for their store and not anyone elses'. This year we had someone come out to the farm and butcher them and for some reason it just isnt the same quality as the meat before. They have all been fed the same throughout the year but it turned out totally different this time. Guess everyone just does it different!

Telos

Bawndoh said:
I was very curious as to what Hummus tasted like, since Ranch, and other "dips" have so much fat in them.  Well I bought the smallest container of Hummus, and it was even garlic flavoured or something.  Well....it is truely disgusting!!  I had one peice of mushroom dipped in it and it hit the garbage can real fast!!  Have you ever heard of "good" hummus??  I would eat it if it didnt taste like cardboard soaked in sewer water (lol).

Humus is actually quite good. It depends on who makes it. Most people really do not know what it is suppose to taste like. It is a perfect balance of pureed chick peas, a good olive oil, garlic, lemon juice and a little salt. Following a recipe is OK, but it is the fine tuning of all the ingredients which makes it tasty. I feel mushrooms are not compatible with humus but like celery, carrots, sliced cucumbers, good olives and tomatoes best.