perason square

Help Support Steer Planet:

BCCC

I was wondering if anyone knew how to use the pearson square with multiple feed ingridents? Also does anyone know the fat content of milo? Just a rough estimate

aj

Do people still use that thing? I'd have to look it up in my books. I doubt milo has any fat in it just energy but I am no nutritionist and for sure I am not JFK. It would be cool if someone could diagram the Pearson square on here and explain it. Good question!

kanshow

Thanks for the blast from the past!!!    I remember those days and the tests we took on it!!! 

CAB

Yeah some of us older PPL on here still use the Pearson square to figure rations. One of the downfalls would be that you have to use 2 ingred. @ a time. Search the archives. I think that I put up some examples some time ago. Barley will have some fat. Brent

CAB

Possibly dating myself, but was wondering, do they still use Dr. Jurgens nutrition book and what edition are they using now if in fact they still use his book. Do you know if Doc Jurgens is still around? Feeds and Feeding 101. Brent C.

BCCC

We are learning how to use in animal science 2.  what is a good program to figure rations? Also whats a good way to add fat to a ration? Like product wise?

kanshow

Power Up by Sunglo... 

You can also get more fat in the ration with oils. 

itk

kanshow said:
Power Up by Sunglo...   

You can also get more fat in the ration with oils.   

Spoken like a true Sunglo dealer. I think I learned the perason square my first day of freshman ag and probally haven't thought about it since. Not to make any of you "old" folks jealous but that was only 15 years ago.

BCCC

I dont have any power up i sold the last 3 bags the other day and i wont have another order coming in for awhile. I  forgot that i have some fish meal and i picked up a bag of animax thats is 28 percent protein

CAB

ITK, it just seems like 15 years ago, but on cold days it feels like the 32 years ago that it was. Brent C.

BCCC

kanshow said:
itk - Have you tried any of the Sumo?
We used it on a super lean barrow and I really liked the outcome, It feed better then the power up in my opinion.

Show Heifer

I was just wondering if you guys don't use the pearson square to formulate rations, what and how do you formulate your rations?  Or do you just take the feed salemans word for it?

CAB

Jen, I'm sure their are a lot of software programs for the technically literate that are way better and faster than our archaic methods, but for me simpler is better. Brent

Dusty

Show Heifer said:
I was just wondering if you guys don't use the pearson square to formulate rations, what and how do you formulate your rations?   Or do you just take the feed salemans word for it?

I've never really worked closely with a feed salesman.  I just went to the feedmill and told them what I wanted....  I formulated my rations by looking at the animal, looking at the bunk, and looking at the their crap...  Red plastic dixie cups, coffee cans, scoops, and buckets were used as units of measurement.  I don't think I ever weighed out any feed...  Or used a measuring cup of any sort....  Every once in awhile I would just do a weighted average of ingredients to figure out % protein to determine what I wanted the feedmill to mix up for me. 

A lot of the commercial show feeds are more of a fancy bag than anything......

ploughshare

CAB said:
  Possibly dating myself, but was wondering, do they still use Dr. Jurgens nutrition book and what edition are they using now if in fact they still use his book. Do you know if Doc Jurgens is still around? Feeds and Feeding 101. Brent C.

http://www.ans.iastate.edu/faculty/index.php?id=mjurgens

I'm not completly sure but I think he is  more into swimming pools these days.  Water Chem Inc is or was his company.

kanshow

We used to use a little program developed by KState.  Anymore, there are so many different add in products that it is really hard for that program to handle, so we have a nutritionist formulate rations. 

red

when I started in sales we used the Brill program. Later the Cornell.
I have 2 Feeds & Feeding books. One was mine from college & the other was my grandfathers.

Red