Perfect Timing heifer PICS!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

TottenClubCalves

The tailhead theory is true most live bulls tend to not want to mount a high tailhead. The thing is that a high tailhead can give a more flashy look for the showring and most show heifers aren't serviced naturally there AI'ed so unless your running commercial cows or a live bull a high tailhead isn't that big of a deal if your AI'ing calves.

SKF

Never heard that before about the high tailhead. I have serveral cows with high tailheads and our bulls have no problem breeding them.

shortyjock89

She only appears to have a high tailhead. It's my fault for not clipping enough of the hair off, but when the tailhead is combed, it looks awesome. I would shave it down for you guys, but she has to get shown, so the hair stays for now lol.

Now, on to the problems of high tailheads.  We don't breed for them, but we also don't want their tailhead to be smooshed really far down between their pins either.  We've never had a problem with any of our cows getting bred by a bull, but we use AI almost exclusively.

CAB

Hey Shortyjock, your tailhead trim looks perfect to me. I'm not so good @ getting the tailhead just right. I wouldn't change it. I've never heard of a bull turning down a cow/heifer b/c of the tailhead b4, but hey. The bull wasn't a complete surprise for the jock. He has done his homework. He did reccommend him to me  awhile  back. Every SH breeder has seen some good X-ray vision calves, but didn't want to use a double carrier.  Perfect Timing is a double clean full sib to X-ray. His pic may not look like X-ray's but he may breed right along with him. Shortyjock, I know that you are going to be a person that breeds great cattle in the future. You have all the right tools and are wise beyond your youth.

shortyjock89

CAB- Thanks alot for the kind words ;D  Perfect Timing isn't the best bull for every cow, but I think he could be used alot more.  I'm not that wise, I just watch successful breeders and try to follow them. This site has taught me alot.  I like for people to think that I'm not a complete idiot anyhow lol. Okay, time to go feed..

CAB

Shortyjock, your like me, a multiplier, but I have a lot of faith in you. Your young enough to become a breeder. I'll be watching. Brent

shortyjock89

Well, thanks for the support Brent, my goal is to be a "breeder" within 10 years of being out of college.  I have goals such as raising a set of heifers that go on to be donors, raise at least one bull that is promoted as a great female maker, and have one of my kids win a big show (IL State Fair or bigger) before I retire.  Lofty goals, not sure if I'll ever accomplish any of them, but it can't hurt to be ambitious can it?

Doc

CAB said:
   Shortyjock, your like me, a multiplier, but I have a lot of faith in you. Your young enough to become a breeder. I'll be watching. Brent
Just curious CAB, what makes you say that you & Shortyjock are multipliers , not breeders? ??? What do you quantify a breeder as ?

CAB

Hey Doc, JIT had an excellent post some time ago about people being breeders or multipliers. Multipliers watch what works for others and follows. Breeders seem to go their own direction and sort of create new bloodlines that when bred, go on to produce traits with predictability. I'm eagerly awaiting Knabe & Telos's new bloodlines. They will be breeders. Knabe's knowledge in genetics needs to be applied in a new linebred bloodline. Isn't it always nice when you can breed to a bull and know just what to expect? I'm into club calves, but one of my pet peeves is the pure unpredictability of clubbie herds. The clubbie bulls and a lot of clubbie cows are soo mongrelized that you can't bank on even one trait. I hope that somewhat explains what I meant Doc. BTW it looked like your new Boxer is going to be a good one. I liked the heifer's teat size and udder attachment. I hate blown out bags just as the cows hitting her prime. Another one of my pet peeves. I have many. LOL. Brent

shortyjock89

Hey, I dug around the ol computer back home this past weekend and found a rear shot of the heifer...didn't know if anyone would be interested in seeing it.  Hard to believe it, but the heifer is looking even better now than she did when I posted the new pics...can't wait for expo..anyhow, here's the rear shot.  Oh yeah, sorry about her tail and tailhead...it was REALLY windy that day.

rosebudsbackside.jpg

showsteerdlux

Well she sure doesnt disappoint from behind. Nice wide based and packed full of muscle. Makes me even more interested in those embryos!

doubled

Nice heifer, you might want to block that tailhead down some to flatten her out on the top some, very nice heifer, good luck with her,
what state are you from???

shortyjock89

Yeah, her tailhead does look a bit high in that pic.  I'll get more pics at Beef Expo next month and post em so you can let me know how she looks all fit and junk..

justamom-I'm from East Central Illinois, about an hour from where your son just moved. I go to the U of I (Champaign-Urbana), but the farm is almost to the Indiana state line.