Perfect Timing Heifer....(yes, again)

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortyjock89

Well, I got my pictures back from the U of I Hoof N Horn, and I wanted to share with you guys what my heifer looks like now.  I'm puttin up her baby pic, as well as her new one, so y'all can see what she's done.  I'm pretty proud of her, and all the fitting, clipping, and showing was done by me and my partner in crime, Jesse Fruhling.  Let me know what you think, I know she ain't perfect, but she's the best calf I've had yet!
Afterthought:  We have a full sib to this heifer on the ground right now, and he is pretty cool.  He will make an excellent steer for someone that wants to run pretty hard with a Shorthorn, or we can keep him a bull and see what he'll do. Also have a heifer,  3/4 sib out of a ShorthornPlus cow that looks pretty sharp too.  That, and we'll have embryo's of this mating for sale this summer.  PM me if you're interested in either, or if you just wanna share something about my calf.  Thanks!

roanheifer.jpg

IMG_0018.jpg

OH Breeder

Justin,
She looks really good. Feminine nice body. You did a nice job on the grooming. You should be proud. I am still thinking this group on here should host there own pasture sale. After looking at the map though it may be one heck of a drive for someone. ;)
OH B

red

very nice Justin! Congrats on some great looking calves!

Red  <party>  (clapping)

garett

Wow Justin, You told me that she looked good, and you were right! Shes lookin reak nice, You should be super proud of her.

doubled

You should be very proud- She is a very nice shorthorn heifer, nice body style- good grooming-  <party>

AAOK

Great looking heifer! 

You've done a tremendous job with your daily Feeding, Fitting, and Grooming. 

shortyjock89

Thanks a lot everyone!  I just hope that she gets big enough.  She's a May, and I'm about 6 ft.  She looked a little smaller in the line up of her class, but the judge liked her anyhow.  That was basically his reason for her not doing just a little better, but this show was pretty dang huge.  Are there any tips you guys might have for me? She's gettin a sweat collar put on her every day when I come home for good.  That, and she'll get a bath more than twice a week-weekends-lol.  But again, thanks a bunch for the kind words, I know that you guys have some really nice calves too.

TJ

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Thanks a lot everyone!  I just hope that she gets big enough.  She's a May, and I'm about 6 ft.  She looked a little smaller in the line up of her class, but the judge liked her anyhow.  That was basically his reason for her not doing just a little better, but this show was pretty dang huge.  Are there any tips you guys might have for me? She's gettin a sweat collar put on her every day when I come home for good.  That, and she'll get a bath more than twice a week-weekends-lol.  But again, thanks a bunch for the kind words, I know that you guys have some really nice calves too.

Get's big enough?  That's blaspheme isn't it!    :p ;)   ;D  LOL!!

Seriously, she is nice just like she is.  Yes, some judges can't pick only quality & they pick for size, but you just keep breeding good ones like her & you will do just fine.  And with $6 corn, that is exactly the type of Shorthorn you need to be breeding... showy, yet function & broody.  Honestly, throw a sweat collar on her & I wouldn't change a thing.  And like the heifer, I honestly can't fault that fitting job... that's A+!   Seriously, Justin, you should be awful proud!!  Nice shirt, btw!  ;)
As I posted before, Justin is a young pro & this picture just proves it!  Congrats!

BCCC

She looks GREAT, too bad she doesnt have all that nice winter hair O0 O0, BUt she still looks great with out!!

FYI....if you want to sell her i will give a 10 of our "gifted" cows ;D

shortyjock89

Hey everyone, I finally got some pics from Jr. Nationals on my computer and I thought I'd share one with ya'll.  I know it's not a great pic, but you can see what she looks like anyhow.  She needs a smoother front and a deeper flank maybe, but I think she has come along pretty nicely.  Comments and breeding advice appreciated! I plan on getting more pics at state fair in another week and a half, and she looks better now than she did at Jr. Nationals, but we'll see how she does!

100_0694-1-1.jpg

itk

My opinion of her in person was she is a versatile breeding piece. This is also her downfall in the showring. She isn't clubby enough for the steer guys or pretty enough for the purebred judges. She won't ever win a show but she won't ever loose one either. I think her phenotype leads her to being a very exciting cow, as she should produce outstanding calves no matter which direction you choose to go. With Sonny in her pedigree Ace of Diamonds should work.

TJ

I think you nailed it & I think itk is spot on too.  In that picture, she does look like she could be just a bit deeper flanked & she could use just a little prettying up in the front end.  But, that still is a real nice heifer...

Breeding advice?  well...  ;)

OH Breeder

I think she is a very attractive pattern female. Looks as though she has some diversity that will help her when becoming a brood cow. Nice heifer! Keep up the good work!