Pet peeve - Out of...

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattle Cards

One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says a calf if out of a particular sire.  This seems to be unique to the cattle industry.  In horses, a foal would be by (Sire) and out of (Dam).  To me it sounds better.  I come from two educators that have been in the cattle and horse businesses for several generations.  Dad, Ag Education and Mom, English.  So when some one says their calf is out of bull XXX it just grates my nerves.  I will always say "sired by", "by" or that "their sire is".  Besides the calf comes out of the cow, not the bull. 
<cowboy>

Cattle Cards

Aussie, thanks for the positive reply.  You understand what I'm saying.  Have a good one!
<cowboy>

WJ Farms

What does it matter and besides if you are talking about club calves alot of people dont know the cow side so sometimes all they can tell you is what the calf is "sired by"

mick rems

WJ Farms said:
What does it matter and besides if you are talking about club calves alot of people dont know the cow side so sometimes all they can tell you is what the calf is "sired by"
jim is saying that he cant stand it when someone says this calf is OUT OF heatwave.
you say this calf is out of a ali cow and sired by heatwave. then you know the maternal grandsire and the sire.

LittleHeifer

I preferto say by "bull" out of "dam", but sometimes I slip up aand it will drive me crazy

vc

As long as I no what they mean I can't say it bothers me. There is also the top and bottom to describe Sire and the sire of the dam.

He is sired by Heat Wave, and his dam is a Meyer 734 daughter.
He is out of Heat Wave and a Meyer daughter
Heat Wave on top Meyer on the bottom,

Same meaning, 3 different ways to say it.

a manchild out of a Ali daughter

Make that 4 ways

Cattle Cards

I see some of you actually understand.  Appreciate it.  It's funny because my Dad made the same observation 25-30 years ago.
<cowboy>

Okotoks

Cattle Cards said:
One of my biggest pet peeves is when someone says a calf if out of a particular sire.  This seems to be unique to the cattle industry.  In horses, a foal would be by (Sire) and out of (Dam).  To me it sounds better.  I come from two educators that have been in the cattle and horse businesses for several generations.  Dad, Ag Education and Mom, English.  So when some one says their calf is out of bull XXX it just grates my nerves.  I will always say "sired by", "by" or that "their sire is".  Besides the calf comes out of the cow, not the bull. 
<cowboy>
I agree, calves are sired by the bull and out the cow! The Aussies have it right (thumbsup)

AAOK

"Out Of" a bull drives me crazy!!!  I used to correct people but finally gave up. But, even worse is people serving at a restaurant or retaiil business saying " No Problem" when they should say Thank You, or You're Welcome........  Darn Right, it's not my problem, it's yours!