Petro 2nd Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

Coach

Does anyone have information on a Shorthorn bull named Petro 2nd?  Curious what his pedigree name is.  What color was he?  I think there was some Maine in his pedigree.  I bought a few units from one of the SP guys  .  .  .  still contemplating what I should use it on.

Will

Petro 2 was used a lot in Oklahoma.  If I remember right he was a red and white bull.  He was a little before his time at making them a little more moderate.  I know a guy who used him a lot on some cows that came from Deertrail ranch and those were always really good calves.  If I had some Petro 2 I would use it on prettier made heavier boned cows that I wanted to raise show steers out of.

OH Breeder

I believe you are referencing JF Petro 2nd-1989 model  bred at Farris Ranch.
Sired by Petro Maine bull. On the dam's side you go back to AYATOLLAH who is of Illawara blood and was a monster in the 80's. Petro 2nd sire was out of Petro who went back to the famous Lou Lou Maine cow, as well as Cunia in there and Univers. Lots of folks on here can tell you how LouLou bred and Ayatollah too.

My suggestion would be to use on a small made soggy cow that can calve pretty easy. BW EPD 4.6 with CE -5.5. I think I may have a picture but will have to dig for that one.

Attached is a Grandson of Petro 2nd bred by McKee family bull called Maverick.

Attachments

• maverick.jpg
    maverick.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 207

OH Breeder

Forgot about JF Boxcar Willy goes to Petro 2nd. He left some really good females. Stout lots of rib and bone to them.

Pictured is a donor from Double J

Attachments

• BoxcarWilliedaughter.jpg
    BoxcarWilliedaughter.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 176

Coach

Thanks for any and all information!  I was selfishly curious if we would get white legged calves or if there was real hope for pretty roans or maybe even red ones! The color of the donor previously posted would be just fine!  And if they looked like her, better yet!

mark tenenbaum

Maverick-Wildside and a slew of others are sired or grandsired by SRBP Bottomline-who resided at Shirleys Shorthorns -now SteppingStone Ranch-in Edson Ks(I think)they had sons and grandsons in the yards at Denver for years-I bought one too-and Stuart Manchester had him till he got injured-they are some extreme cattle-and very good natured.One of his daughters is a doner in the More Power For Your $ sale ad to your left,she was raised by Ron-Shirleys partner I believe. O0

xxcc

i know that Petro went back to Loujo that was a calving ease bloodline, but also had some elevation.

Attachments

• loujo.jpg
    loujo.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 272

sue

I dont know anything about Petro - I do like the daughters and offspring . Seems like  Teapot was a son of Petro too??

For the record- DMCC Dr Pepper daughters are nice too?? What's the story there? I noticed both petro and pepper were bred in 89'??

Doc

sue said:
I dont know anything about Petro - I do like the daughters and offspring . Seems like  Teapot was a son of Petro too??

For the record- DMCC Dr Pepper daughters are nice too?? What's the story there? I noticed both petro and pepper were bred in 89'??

Now you're talking Sue. Ol Dr Pepper was one of my favorites. I still have some semen & some eggs by him out of a Tonquish cow "HC Pure Lace". In Buchs' dispersal me & another guy tried to buy a dtr of his out of Simmy cow called Butterfly that I thought was a pretty good rip.

mark tenenbaum

Dr Pepper was a Dividend out of the Olivia fullblood maine that mark Mueller had (DMCC) The AL Butterfly cow-was a Simmital appendix deal raised by Amy Land in Illinois-and she was awesome-they bred her to Dr Pepper-and others-which would have been the Butterflys Bucholtzes had-Those females were before thier time. Granada Payday-the sire used at Deertrail would have gone back to AL Butterfly-I lost his last daughter out of Deertrail Countess-in 2005-at tha age of 15-NCK 21-has a daughter of her we just flushed O0

Doc

mark tenenbaum said:
Dr Pepper was a Dividend out of the Olivia fullblood maine that mark Mueller had (DMCC) The AL Butterfly cow-was a Simmital appendix deal raised by Amy Land in Illinois-and she was awesome-they bred her to Dr Pepper-and others-which would have been the Butterflys Bucholtzes had-Those females were before thier time. Granada Payday-the sire used at Deertrail would have gone back to AL Butterfly-I lost his last daughter out of Deertrail Countess-in 2005-at tha age of 15-NCK 21-has a daughter of her we just flushed O0

Pretty cool Mark. I've got the dispersal catalog downstairs, I'll have to look her up again.

feeder duck

Caoch

Petro 2 was big on my list and still is. His calves seem to have a bit more shape in there hip that a lot of the cattle being bred in the northern states. As stated he was used heavy in OK and TX. Wild Side was for me the prefect blend of Steermaker and Petro Pedigrees. I truly believe those pedigrees are in much need to raise steers. I have only seen a few and I mean few good horns steers as of late.  make sure you use Petro on Mature cows no heifer. He will make them with some cut in the flank. Use him on those moderate very broody cows. I have a few units on Petro left in my tank...just seems I got few horn cows as time goes on.  I attached a couple of Wild Side pics. By the way Wild sSde is 10 and still running cows and not on my place. He outlasted his contemporaries.

jeff

Attachments

• Wild-Side-3_small1.jpg
    Wild-Side-3_small1.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 509
  • Wild Side 6yrs.jpg
    Wild Side 6yrs.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 315

Coach

I didn't realize Wild Side went back to Petro.  That's a bull I think about using each year and then never get to it.  Did I read that he was somewhat recommended as safe on heifers?