PHA - Power Plus Calves

Help Support Steer Planet:

ZNT

Does anyone have any Power Plus calves that they have tested for PHA?

Every Power Plus calf we have tested has come back as PHAC.  Also, in talking to another family at Ft. Worth, they have had the same result. 

This raises the question of what is really going on with PHA?  Is it more than a simple gene?  We used Power Plus on PHAF cows, so in theory, we should have only gotten 50% PHAC.  However, it's been 100%. 

Anyone have any experience with Power Plus or insight on this??

ZNT

DL

ZNT -
1) PHA is a simple point mutation - one gene - one defect (in the Maines, different defect in the Dexters, same gene)
2) How many calves are you talking about?  With each calf there is a 50% chance of having a carrier - it is independent of the previous calf's status (like flipping a coin) - sometimes you get 5 heads in a row -BUT if you flip 100 times it works out close to 50-50, SO unless you have tested 100 calves and they are all carriers what is going on is just pi** poor luck, sorry, DL

red - you know I'm thinkin' of ya

itk

Poor ZNT somewhere there is a person thinking they screwed up on Power Plus's PHA test because all of their calves came back PHAF.  :(

knabe

that would be me, although i only have 2 putative carriers out of known carriers, they were both negative.  one day we will know what this gene is and all the varibility within it not associated with the defect!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

some of the carriers may have other snps within the gene that may prove out to be important.  don't throw away that semen.

from bovigen panel testing on tenderness genes alone, paramount may be at least heterozygous for all 3 tenderness genes, or it could have been a son, or i could have just got lucky.

DLD

Guy I know has a double bred Power Plus (Power Plus out of a Power Plus daughter) bull that he says tested clean. We used him (Power Plus) a little, but only got bull calves and we cut every one of them for show steers. Last I talked to Greg he hadn't tested but just a few, said he was planning on doing more but I haven't checked back in with him in awhile.

ZNT

Glad to hear that we're just in the unlucky boat.  I was more perplexed by their [the other family] as they definitely have more PP #'s than we do.

Regardless, we're happy with the calves, and just glad to know the status either way.

RSC

THE BARN said:
(dog) POWER PLUS
Trust the dog and run away.
Hes as dirty as a Hairy Hines Whore
We all know that Whiskey is a carrier.  I know someone that flushed an angus cow to him and I believe all 5 ET calves came back Free.  Could be the next 5 will be carriers.  He had 5 aces in a row next time it could be 5 dueces.

RSC