PHA Question

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

I heard about the 275 pound PHA calf someone had.  What is it about PHA that makes the deformed calf grow so large???

red

cowz said:
I heard about the 275 pound PHA calf someone had.   What is it about PHA that makes the deformed calf grow so large???

From what I understand it's fluid that has accumulated.
DL has an excellent article at http://www.maine-anjou.org/ga/AllintheGenes.pdf
Pitures & everything.

Red

DL

That Red, she's a smart one! Basically there is fluid in between the cells - if you have ever seen people with swollen legs (edema) from heart failure or liver disease (among other things) or pictures of the people with elephantiasis - it is more or less the same thing except the entire body is water logged. If you cut the ear the fluid just oozes out - it is truly gross :( :( :(

red

Are the bones real soft too? I've heard of calves that come apart as they're being pulled out of the cows.
Gross & horrible is all I can say.
Never heard from him if the heifer lived that had the 275 pound monster.

Red

Gypsy

One of the PHA calves we had DID pull apart.  Very VERY VEERRRY ICKY!  You do NOT want to have a PHA calf!!!!!!!!!!!!

DL

A FACE NO ONE CAN LOVE :mad: :mad: :mad:

(good grief I didn't mean to make it that huge - but it sure is gross, Red shrink it if you can!)

Attachments

• PHA calf face1.jpg
    PHA calf face1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 1,088

red

Unbelievable DL!

"Red, red- red to the rescue! Dizzy as she can be!" (welcome)

red

Here is an explanation of how the gene is inherited. Although this is for TH in Shorthorns the same example would work for PHA & all breeds affected.

TH%20Inheritance%20Chart.jpg

red

Since we saw what a PHA calf looks like, I thought maybe for those who hadn't seen a TH calf. Thanks DL!

Attachments

• TH5.jpg
    TH5.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 647
  • TH7.jpg
    TH7.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 481

DL

Funny you should mention that - just wrote an article about it --- want me to post a picture??? Actually they are investigating in OZ, but the origin of the genetic defect is believed to be US Angus and I have a picture of a US Fawn Calf... ;D

red

Why don't you start a new thread on the Fawn Calf defect? That way we're not mixing them all up.
I did notice during my research on TH that it can be found in humans. They are born alive but amputation is usually required on the leg/legs. They also acted like the defect has been found in Holsteins. Anything on that?

Red

Barrel Racer

red said:
Why don't you start a new thread on the Fawn Calf defect? That way we're not mixing them all up.
I did notice during my research on TH that it can be found in humans. They are born alive but amputation is usually required on the leg/legs. They also acted like the defect has been found in Holsteins. Anything on that?

Red

I can say that the human tibial hemimelia is not caused by the same gene as the bovine version (that would have been waaaay too easy right?).  Actually I think we are finding that the tibial defect varies a lot from calf to calf and we've had some that had normal tibias.  I think the the main common defect is the severe abdominal hernia that is present in ALL TH calves.  Humans do show a form of the TH mutation that we've found but it causes a completely different phenotype in humans...darn biology  (lol)

red

So that's why the stomach is enlarged with the TH? I guess I didn't realize that too. I've just seen the legs all twisted. The one calf we had tried to stand but of course couldn't. Heartbreaking... :'(

Red

DL

It is a huge abdominal hernia - basically the muscles amd things holding the abdomen together are weak and so all the guts just roll righ tout - gross eh?

Barrel Racer

red said:
So that's why the stomach is enlarged with the TH? I guess I didn't realize that too. I've just seen the legs all twisted. The one calf we had tried to stand but of course couldn't. Heartbreaking... :'(

Red

Well our theory on the hernia is that the gene is also responsible for pelvic fusion as well as the hind limbs, so it also affects the fusion of the pelvis bones (basically they don't), so like DL says the muscles just can't hold it all in (I'm not up on my anatomy to know what all is there).  Yes, it just seems to sad.  At least with the PHA calves they're pretty much gone from the get go, but the TH calves I'm sure are heartbreaking to watch. 

DL

Just got an email from a friend (vet) who did a C-section on a Shorthorn cow for a 153 pound PHA calf - this was her second PHA calf (is this a welfare concern for the cow??) This year she was bred to a PHA free bull - so much for management! ;D

(Red, please do not pull this post it is not a crusade it is just a fact!) (lol)

red

dragon lady said:
Just got an email from a friend (vet) who did a C-section on a Shorthorn cow for a 153 pound PHA calf - this was her second PHA calf (is this a welfare concern for the cow??) This year she was bred to a PHA free bull - so much for management! ;D

(Red, please do not pull this post it is not a crusade it is just a fact!) (lol)

Gee DL, I don't think I've ever threaten to pull a post. Haven't had any reason too.

Red (welcome)