Photos of Babies Who Turned Out to be Winners

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

Everybody loves to judge how good a calf might be off of baby photos.  Do any of you have past baby photos from calves that went on to win something significant?

In 05, two of the calves we bred went on to win a breed champion (Angus) and reserve breed champion (Charolais) in Houston (a slick shear show).  Their baby pictures are shown below.  Although I think they looked pretty photogenic as babies (especially the Angus), they weren't the perfect furballs you see in magazines.  The Angus was showed a lot and won his breed at our biggest prospect shows all year (including Res. Grand at our fall prospect "major". 

487292.jpg

487293.jpg

AAOK

Kalli, 6 months, at her First Show.
Career:  44 Shows. 38 Firsts in class. 21 Champion or Reserve. Res. National Heifer & Grand National Bred & Owned.
kalli6mos.jpg

A Mainetainer sold into Texas 2005, which we were told won 13 Breed Chanpionships.  This picture was taken at 4 months. 
campbell4mos.jpg

red

Really liked this idea for a post Chambero!
Here is my red cow known as Rosie as a calf. That's my daughter w/ her. She went on to win NAILE for the Maine-Anjou show in 2000. Was told at one point at a show by a judge that she'd never make a brood cow.

Red

Attachments

• young rosie.jpg
    young rosie.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 626
  • Rose NAILE.jpg
    Rose NAILE.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 579

Jill

Here is our 1st big winner, the pictures are of my neice and nephew showing him at his 1st and last show with us, he went on to win the Belt Buckle Bonanza and Oklahoma City. 
We had a ton of baby pictures of him, but I can't find the disc, he was one of those that was good from the day he was born.

Attachments

• tmp246[2].jpg
    tmp246[2].jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 520
  • tmp8921.jpg
    tmp8921.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 525

Jill

Ok, help, I can't seem to post a picture with a normal size, Red, could you fix this.  Thanks

genes

Nice steer Jill!

It's a good idea for a thread too Chambero.

I know I have one of my best heifer somewhere...but that was in the predigital days for sure, so they aren't on a computer, and are probably at my parents anyway, so I can't scan them.  With her and her sister we liked them from the start.  Others were surprises, one way or another. ;)

OH Breeder

One is photo of our shorthorn heifer. was the only shorthorn in a club sale down south. did well all year on circuit and did very well at our county show,(Red can tell you how competitative it is) Was overrall champion breed female. Second photo is of our Simmi Heifer, she went on to win few shows in Ohio, AGR and Heart of ALL,champion Simmi.

Attachments

• Pumpkin.jpg
    Pumpkin.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 512
  • Fergi as a baby.jpg
    Fergi as a baby.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 505
  • AGR-05 Fergy3.jpg
    AGR-05 Fergy3.jpg
    63 KB · Views: 520

shortdawg

This is the Augusta Pride my son exhibited last season. She was Senior Heifer Calf Reserve Champion at the GA Nat'l Open Show.

Attachments

• Calf pics 2007 II 003.jpg
    Calf pics 2007 II 003.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 836
  • 5211 #1[1].JPG
    5211 #1[1].JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 815

justme

Here is our "big boy" FSC Knight Rider as a yearling.  He has sired division winners at the Royal Fancy heifer show and sale and numerous class winners at the Iowa State Fair.  Not bad for a $1000 bull!  Now his daughters are making great mamas...calving ease, muscle, and great temperment, it doesn't get much better than that...
Thanks to Five Star Cattle Company in Trenton, MO for selling us a great bull several years ago!

Attachments

• Knight Rider.jpg
    Knight Rider.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 896

chambero

Pretty good lineup fo far in my opinion.  I figured there were some pretty good cattle raised by yall. 

shorthorns r us

a heifer i raised that was res horn at the tulsa state fair behind the supreme overall.  she was champion several times out and probably would have won more if not for the broken leg the showman suffered in the heart of our jackpot season.  a little coarse for you midwesterners but she is a clubby dream.

Attachments

• shealynn.JPG
    shealynn.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 459

red

Wow- SRU! Really nice! Not coarse at all!
What is she out of? Looks like a blue roan? (clapping)

Red

Joe Boy

GREAT IDEA.....

LOVED ALL THE ONES POSTED SO FAR.....

RED,  your red cow was a lovely heifer and your daughter is a lovely young lady....

red

Joe Boy said:
GREAT IDEA.....

LOVED ALL THE ONES POSTED SO FAR.....

RED,  your red cow was a lovely heifer and your daughter is a lovely young lady....

Thanks Joe- I miss her. :(

DL

SRU  - good to see ya! I basically don't show but have had some awfully nice babies that people had tried to "steal", here is the latest one the Lovely Sunflower ....dl

Attachments

• Sunflower copy.jpg
    Sunflower copy.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 458
  • 4S small copy.jpg
    4S small copy.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 433